Metal Detecting Without A Pin Pointer

Metal detecting   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever metal detected without a pin pointer?

• Yes, I don’t have/need a pin pointer
    • No, I always have my pin pointer handy

I never have used a pin pointer while metal detecting

• Like 1

I've never detected without one, except when the battery died 😀 keeps the holes smaller. 

I would feel lost without a pinpointer now that I have one,  but hunted many years without one....  I don't believe that they had been invented in the early 1980's.    My recoveries are much more efficient now; and   I rarely dig or remove a flap of grass/sod if I can locate a signal with a pinpointer.   If I can find the target that the detector has located with a pinpointer,  I always use a probe to recover it.    Sometimes,  if it is deeper than my index finger can reach into the ground, I use my hori hori knife to bring soil up to the surface through the slot that my probe has made, but everything can be pushed back into the opening and the slot in the sod closed up so that there is almost no discernable evidence of a recovery.   Sod always,  or nearly always has an attached flap and I use the pinpointer detuned in the hole to find the target without disturbing the roots, putting all the dirt back and dropping down the "hinged sod with roots" after it and pressing it into place.

• Like 2

Since Pinpointers became readily available I have carried one. I don't use it on every target but I would not want to be without one in the field. Great time saver and frustration preventer.

• Like 2

I don't use one on the beach, but wouldn't go without one anywhere else...saves time....

• Like 4

I agree it is better to have one. I started out with a cheap bounty hunter one that vibrates. I will probably get a higher quality one once I find a good one. Any recommendations?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

I never have used a pin pointer while metal detecting

TreasureHunter5, Have you never used one, or are you using one?  Your two posts don't agree.  Just a bit confused here.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

In the old days....no pinpointer. Nowadays, I always use one. Even on the beach when the coins are deep. Makes moving from one target to another way faster.

• Like 1

I used a 1/4" mesh sifter till last year. Added floaty tubes to the sifter now...

If on the sand with the scoop  or shovel  , about half the time.

On a lawn  ,,,always  .   Everywhere else probably but not always.

Good tool when I need it.  

• Like 2