Metal Detecting Without A Pin Pointer

Metal detecting   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever metal detected without a pin pointer?

• Yes, I don’t have/need a pin pointer
    • No, I always have my pin pointer handy

1 hour ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

Any recommendations?

I've read a lot of reviews and musings on this forum, the top two seem to be the Garrett Propointer AT, and the Fisher F-pulse. I have two Propointers. I'm interested in the F-pulse.

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I've read a lot of reviews and musings on this forum, the top two seem to be the Garrett Propointer AT, and the Fisher F-pulse. I have two Propointers. I'm interested in the F-pulse.

Bigger issue with pinpointers is compatibility more so than sensitivity to a gnats body piercing at distances greater than 3". Nothing is more annoying then when your machine goes nuts or your pin pointer falses out because the machine and pointer don't play well together.

Be nice to see a compatibility chart here so people can reference it.

• Like 3

I don’t use a pinpointer for gold nugget prospecting.

I sometimes use a pinpointer for saltwater beach detecting.

I definitely use a pinpointer for freshwater hunting, relic hunting and basic coin and jewelry turf hunting.

Kac, every detector I own (except the QED) has the ability to either pair up wirelessly with a pinpointer or with a press of a button on the detector it will automatically find the least offending frequency between the pinpointer I’m using and the operating frequencies of the detector. Some improvements have been made with detector/pinpointer compatibility in the last few years.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I have both. I still like the Garrett carrot best.

• Like 3

Tejon doesn't like the Nokta plulse much, can't change either.

ML Profind 35 doesn't work well at all in any frequency on the Kruzer.

AT Pro is pretty stable with both.

SeaHunter MK2 hates them all 🙂

Still be nice to have a chart of some sorts. Not all machines have a wide enough frequency offset to not only combat emi but interferance with a pinpointer.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

For relics, coins and jewelry.  Using pinpointer will definitely speed up recovery.  Especially on the deeper stuff.  Use of pinpointer will also lessen damage done do manicured lawns.  

When you really start pushing a detector say for relics in more iron ridden areas, pinpointer will definitely save some time.

i generally don’t like to wear gloves, so I don’t handle much dirt with my fingers and hands.  So a pinpointer can lessen possibility of cuts handling dirt.

Still using my older Garrett Pro Pointer.  Have a couple others.  Don’t get used much.

When ground is more wet or muddy.  Pinpointer comes in handy too.

I won’t go detecting without one.

I use pinpointers minelab profind 35 and XP MI6 ... ,, Pinpoiner will definitely help..better and faster to locate the searched object without damaging the find ..

IMG_20210102_194604_173.jpg

• Like 1

In addition to my pinpointer, I always carry a small magnet in my digging pouch to make quicker work of the small Iron bits that show up in many holes. In known bad nail sites I will add a very strong magnet with a homemade handle. I just carry it stuck to my hand digger sheath. It will pull through a good bit of loose dirt. Then I can zone in on any additional targets in the hole.

• Like 4

In the brackish water I hunt, and the beach I went to a few weeks ago (first one), my Carrot is/was useless in the water. Is there one that isn't? The Equinox pinpointer works great, but in shallow water filled holes it would be nice so I don't have to keep scooping or digging.

"Duh" update: just saw a vid on how to tune it. 🤦