Metal Detecting Without A Pin Pointer

Metal detecting   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever metal detected without a pin pointer?

• Yes, I don’t have/need a pin pointer
    • No, I always have my pin pointer handy

On 5/10/2021 at 7:55 PM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

TreasureHunter5, Have you never used one, or are you using one?  Your two posts don't agree.  Just a bit confused here.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

As you can see, my first post was earlier than my second, so at the time of the first post, I didn’t have one. As of the second post I have a pinpointer. It is a cheaper one I just got, and I was asking for a suggestions on a better one.

• Like 1

I always use and have several. I like XP6 and prefer the pitch vs pulse audio  

dont like them paired as I want the detector active

in case I’m not detecting the target in the hole right away. In target rich spots I don’t even turn it off but hold it in pit of my arm between targets. 

• Like 1

I've never used a pinpointed as well but am thinking of getting one.  I wonder how good the Nokta/Makro waterproof pinpointer is for under $85.00.  I read mixed reviews of different brands and models.  It seem that the Garrett AT Pro is the most widely used.  I read that the Fisher F-Pulse/Teknetics Tek-Point do better in mineralized soil.  

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I've never used a pinpointed as well but am thinking of getting one.  I wonder how good the Nokta/Makro waterproof pinpointer is for under $85.00.  I read mixed reviews of different brands and models.  It seem that the Garrett AT Pro is the most widely used.  I read that the Fisher F-Pulse/Teknetics Tek-Point do better in mineralized soil.  

I've heard good things about the Nokta/Makro pinpointer. The only drawbacks I've seen is that it can be a little twitchy at max sensitivity and the button are at the back, which can make on the fly adjustments slower.

The F-Pulse is good in hot ground, but not immune. But it's biggest advantages come from using AA batteries and its sensitivity.

The Garrett "Carrot" is a solid choice (and one that I currently use), but I'm not happy with its ratcheting ability (aka: closing range). This refers to the pinpointer's ability to let you know when you're getting closer to a target, but haven't reached it yet. I like its max sensitivity ability, but when in that mode, its closing range is lousy.

White's TRX has great closing range or ratcheting, but it's been discontinued.

Based on my online research, the XP Mi-4 or MI-6 have ratcheting abilities that are close to the TRX and definitely better than the Garrett Carrot.

• Like 2

I'll point out that Nokta/Makro makes more than one pinpointer, so suggest everyone makes sure to specify which one s/he is referring to.

50 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

I've heard good things about the Nokta/Makro pinpointer. The only drawbacks I've seen is that it can be a little twitchy at max sensitivity and the button are at the back, which can make on the fly adjustments slower.

The F-Pulse is good in hot ground, but not immune. But it's biggest advantages come from using AA batteries and its sensitivity.

The Garrett "Carrot" is a solid choice (and one that I currently use), but I'm not happy with its ratcheting ability (aka: closing range). This refers to the pinpointer's ability to let you know when you're getting closer to a target, but haven't reached it yet. I like its max sensitivity ability, but when in that mode, its closing range is lousy.

White's TRX has great closing range or ratcheting, but it's been discontinued.

Based on my online research, the XP Mi-4 or MI-6 have ratcheting abilities that are close to the TRX and definitely better than the Garrett Carrot.

Thanks for sharing your impressions and experience with these pinpointers.  I read good things about White's TRX.  Maybe Garrett will bring it back or incorporate some of its features into a new AT Pro model.  It's a tough choice to make because they  all have their positives and negatives.  Just like a metal detector, there doesn't seem to be all around perfect pinpointer.  I'd like to find reliable one for general use.  Cheers!

2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'll point out that Nokta/Makro makes more than one pinpointer, so suggest everyone makes sure of which one s/he is referring to.

I was referring to the "Nokta Pointer Waterproof Pinpointer."  It's kind of a generic name, but that's how I've seem it listed on Amazon.  

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I was referring to the "Nokta Pointer Waterproof Pinpointer."  It's kind of a generic name, but that's how I've seem it listed on Amazon.  

Got it; I think that's officially named 'Nokta Pointer', and could be confused with the 'Pulse Dive'.  To provide impetus for confusion, I think both Nokta and Makro had pinpointer models before the two companies merged.  I don't know if those were different, though.  Here's Nokta/Makro's current product page for pinpointers.

Just a suggestion to everyone:  if you refer to a product it helps the readers if a link to that product is included (can be the manufacturers page, a seller's page such as Amazon, even an Ebay listing).

22 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Got it; I think that's officially named 'Nokta Pointer', and could be confused with the 'Pulse Dive'.  To provide impetus for confusion, I think both Nokta and Makro had pinpointer models before the two companies merged.  I don't know if those were different, though.  Here's Nokta/Makro's current product page for pinpointers.

Just a suggestion to everyone:  if you refer to a product it helps the readers if a link to that product is included (can be the manufacturers page, a seller's page such as Amazon, even an Ebay listing).

I posted a link to the manufacturer's website.  The "Pointer" name isn't very original but as long as it works is what counts.

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/nokta-pointer/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

I posted a link to the manufacturer's website.  The "Pointer" name isn't very original but as long as it works is what counts.

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/nokta-pointer/

The price you used to describe it made it clear what pinpointer you were talking about. The other one(s) they make are more expensive (as far as I know at least).

• Like 1