Metal Detecting Without A Pin Pointer

Metal detecting   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever metal detected without a pin pointer?

• Yes, I don’t have/need a pin pointer
    • No, I always have my pin pointer handy

7 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

The price you used to describe it made it clear what pinpointer you were talking about. The other one(s) they make are more expensive (as far as I know at least).

I figured you knew which one I was referring to, but took the suggestion of posting a link for others who might not know.  Thanks again for your comments regarding the different pinpointers!

No way. The first was a Bullseye II and then the TRX, both from White's Electronics 😪. Both still work great. One time I forgot the pin-pointer, man what a torment😖. I like the TRX for it's depth and sensitivity.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 6:38 PM, mh9162013 said:

The Garrett "Carrot" is a solid choice (and one that I currently use), but I'm not happy with its ratcheting ability (aka: closing range). This refers to the pinpointer's ability to let you know when you're getting closer to a target, but haven't reached it yet. I like its max sensitivity ability, but when in that mode, its closing range is lousy.

You may already know this, but closing in on a target with the Carrot at max sensitivity (I leave mine at max sensitivity by default) works well if you judiciously use the ability to adjust/ratchet down Carrot sensitivity on the fly using a single press of the function button as you close in on the target. Get a sense of the target proximity (i.e., ensure the PP is not falsing on soil mineralization) and simply ratchet down sensitivity as you hit the edge of target detection. Really helps to zero in on the target quickly and precisely.

Anyway - I use a pinpointer for land target recoveries.  Generally don’t use it for beach hunting unless I am hitting on a potential micro jewelry target that is slipping through the scoop mesh.

• Like 6

Never did the hand to coil wave so never got good at it. Start with  pinpointer you can’t really stop unless you just want to do it , or your only pp runs dead and you have no choice. 

• 1 month later...