Metal Detecting Without A Pin Pointer

Metal detecting   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever metal detected without a pin pointer?

• Yes, I don’t have/need a pin pointer
    • No, I always have my pin pointer handy

I never have used a pin pointer while metal detecting

• Like 1

I've never detected without one, except when the battery died 😀 keeps the holes smaller. 

I would feel lost without a pinpointer now that I have one,  but hunted many years without one....  I don't believe that they had been invented in the early 1980's.    My recoveries are much more efficient now; and   I rarely dig or remove a flap of grass/sod if I can locate a signal with a pinpointer.   If I can find the target that the detector has located with a pinpointer,  I always use a probe to recover it.    Sometimes,  if it is deeper than my index finger can reach into the ground, I use my hori hori knife to bring soil up to the surface through the slot that my probe has made, but everything can be pushed back into the opening and the slot in the sod closed up so that there is almost no discernable evidence of a recovery.   Sod always,  or nearly always has an attached flap and I use the pinpointer detuned in the hole to find the target without disturbing the roots, putting all the dirt back and dropping down the "hinged sod with roots" after it and pressing it into place.

• Like 2

Since Pinpointers became readily available I have carried one. I don't use it on every target but I would not want to be without one in the field. Great time saver and frustration preventer.

• Like 2

I don't use one on the beach, but wouldn't go without one anywhere else...saves time....

• Like 4

I agree it is better to have one. I started out with a cheap bounty hunter one that vibrates. I will probably get a higher quality one once I find a good one. Any recommendations?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

I never have used a pin pointer while metal detecting

TreasureHunter5, Have you never used one, or are you using one?  Your two posts don't agree.  Just a bit confused here.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

In the old days....no pinpointer. Nowadays, I always use one. Even on the beach when the coins are deep. Makes moving from one target to another way faster.

• Like 1

I used a 1/4" mesh sifter till last year. Added floaty tubes to the sifter now...

If on the sand with the scoop  or shovel  , about half the time.

On a lawn  ,,,always  .   Everywhere else probably but not always.

Good tool when I need it.  

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Golden pennies
      Hi all,
      I love my equinox 800, but I hate taking off my headphones to listen to my pinpointer signal. I'm looking at getting a pinpointer with Bluetooth technology, but as far as I can tell I'm not able to use the same headphones for both devices. Does anyone have any advice on this in terms of what to buy or how to make two different systems work together on the same headphones? 

• By CanadianScouser
      I’m having huge interference from the Quest using it with both XP models .Changing frequency doesn’t  help .It is quiet with the Nox .Any help is welcomed .
      Also here in Canada having good success with G’s Sonar programme on the Deus ,though one needs to be vigilant with crown caps as they ring high tone .Pull tabs barely make high tone so are mostly recognizable , at least for me in my conditions .

• By Kelpike
      I'm using the MI 6 with the Orx. It starts off in program 2 out of the box and shows that on the remote screen. When you change it to program 7 does that show on the top of the screen on the remote? I've played around with changing programs and 7 will not show. Am I not understanding program 7? What programs do you guys prefer to use and why?
    • By Pinger
      Well I got a new pro pointer and it’s acting like this - 
      - just like it should work 
      -  the “I’m getting closer” only goes to about 1/2 the speed it should when literally touching the target . 
      - won’t do anything 
      - won’t stop hardly. 
      - had me digging to China for no reason at all . ( even after a re-tune ) 
      that said , my friend pointed out the fact that the cereal number inside by the battery is not there - only a cereal number on the back ( wondering if it’s a B- quality pro pointer ? Any help I appreciate it ! OH and I bought it to be knew off eBay and it did come in the box sealed in plastic so IDK🤦‍♂️
    • By ☠ Cipher
      Don’t ask me why, but I continue to monitor the closing sales of the TRX since Whites closed its doors. The last two new models went for $380 and $400, with a pre-owned closing at $250. Closing sales for new have been over $300 for a while now. It makes me wish I had the foresight to buy a few a while back, but who would’ve guessed people would be willing to shell out $400 for a pinpointer. I still have one TRX, but wouldn’t sell it now for even $500. 

• By oneguy
      Phrunt...  My 6 is headed my way on the big brown truck and the heat will have me sidelined for at least a week.  So with the 6 showing up during the heat wave I'll be sitting out I've decided to shorten up the Monster like you did and retire it temporally as a PP'er for the 6.  Question is this....does all the wire wrapping that close to the 5" coil cause you any problems or make the Monster react any different?  Thanks!!!!