CTX 3030 Vs Minelab Gold Monster 1000

I’m heading up to Georgetown gold fields, in North Queensland Australia soon. Do not want to get into the new GPX 6000 or GPZ 7000 yet and besides that I do not live close to a gold region. I currently own a CTX 3030. I know that the Monster is not in the same league as the more expensive units but at just over $1,000 it is an option to purchase.

But my thoughts are that the CTX I already own may do pretty much the same as the Monster, plus it has discrimination ability.

Could someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

Buy an Equinox and leave the CTX at home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kidbeey said:

But my thoughts are that the CTX I already own may do pretty much the same as the Monster, plus it has discrimination ability.

Uh, that would be a no.  CTX is more suited to deep high conductor detecting and is weak on small mid-conductors like natural gold or gold alloys.  But the gold monster has stiff competition in the form of the Equinox. Jeff's terse but accurate statement below is the advice you should heed.  If you don't believe us, then take the time to do a deep dive here using the search term Equinox versus Gold Monster.  You'll save yourself a few AUS $ and end up with a very versatile detector that will compliment and perhaps surpass your CTX when you are off the gold fields.  With the Gold Monster you will do fine for gold, but it will end up in the closet after your trip (or are you permanently moving there?   Not clear from your post) and the Equinox 800 is arguably a as good as if not better gold detector than the GM.  Regardless, it is kind of a no brainer decision whether or not it is a trip or permanent move.  Eventually, if you are going to do it regularly and full time for income, you'll want to make the investment in one of the more expensive rigs. Good luck.

18 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Buy an Equinox and leave the CTX at home.

Yep.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to CTX 3030 Vs Minelab Gold Monster 1000