Broken Lower Rod On Impulse AQ ..... Update

This is an update on the lower shaft that snapped into two pieces on a Sunday morning wet sand hunt on April 25.  I list events in a timeline.

Sunday April 25 about 10:00 AM the lower shaft broken into two pieces after 30-45 minutes of detecting in the wet beach surf.

Monday April 26 in the morning I emailed First Texas with pictures of the broken shaft and received a RA from FT and shipped it back to FT Monday afternoon April 26.  I posted a message on the Impulse AQ Facebook page pictures of the broken shaft an received a reply from Russ Balbriona that said Hello Joe- Russ from Fisher here. Email me russ@frsttx.com. I'll get you taken care of.”  I also posted on here at DetectorProspector a post with pictures and received a response from Alexandre that said “Thank you for you feedback.  We are ready with the Mechanical Team to understand and solve the problem.  A lower rod will be sent to you in exchange, and we are studying the phenomenon.  Tests are already carried out internally with high lateral pressure, we will continue in this direction to understand.  I contacted the whole team when I san the message today.

Thursday April 29 at 10:23 First Texas received the broken shaft which was signed for by someone named Mocosta.

Friday April 30 at 3:47 (on the beach detecting with my Equinox) I received a call from First Texas.  At 4:05 I received an email from Felix at First Texas that said “We just received your lower tube and is being analyzed by our engineers/quality and will call you on Monday to follow up with you – stay tuned.” And that my voice mail was full.  (it did have one 22 second message about my car warranty in it)

Monday May 3 I called Felix early as I had an appointment later that day and he said Engineers/quality would decide IF they would replace the shaft under warranty.

Today Monday May 10, 16 days after the shaft broke, 15 days after First Texas was made aware of the break with pictures and responded to me, and 12 days after First Texas had the broken shaft in their possession.

So the update is “there is no update”.    

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Oh my! 1

Cuniagau,

you are a calmer more judicious man than I. They are deciding what to do??? A bunch of us have had broken shafts and gotten them replaced. 

There is clearly a problem, they gave you a warranty. The response SHOULD be “we are so sorry, a new shaft is in today’s Mail.

i have been a long time fan of Fisher/ FT. Its pretty hard to be a fan anymore.

Best of luck to you! If they don’t respond to you favorably tomorrow, send me a pm and I will send you the one I fixed so at least you can hunt.

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Sorry to see they need to debate about it being replaced.😵

Maybe I should work a design up for a new clevis, can't be that hard.🔨

So Joe, when is First Texas going to make you a compensated member of the Impulse design team? :rolleyes:

• Like 6

I picture a dark and dusty factory with just a few workers and two or three guys who run the business from their cell phones but have better things to do with their time than deal with customers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Sorry to see they need to debate about it being replaced.😵

Maybe I should work a design up for a new clevis, can't be that hard.🔨

I think the design is good when the clevis is left hollow. It is the material that it is made of that is the issue I think. It should not be hard plastic but should be more like Lexan or a nylon composite material. The ZPT technology may take more stress off the coil ears and apply it to the lower shaft. The traditional clevis mounts between to coil ears with rubber washers that allow a certain amount of flex laterally where as the ZPT is ridged and has no flex. JMHO. Change the material it is made of. Good luck everybody and those on the east coast, brace yourself for gas lines 😡.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Broken Lower Rod On Impulse Aq... Update...

Sad to hear as I  just sent in my AQ for what is probably going to be a coil problem. If I get the same run around like you, I will never buy another Fisher product again. Sorry Alexandre, but that is how it is. I spent $82.13 cent to insure it and get it to Fisher. I wanted to just send the coil but their "Tech" said he wants it all (including shaft). My beach season is almost over and again my AQ is down. I feel for you as a quick turn around on a new shaft should have been done immediately! I almost get the feeling like I am doing something wrong and they don't trust anyone when you bring to light a warrantee problem. These are known problems and there should be no decision needed. Just fix the damn thing! Rant over.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hello,

I am sending them an email on the subject now.
Sorry I work from my laboratory in France. I am not there inside the factory. They said they were dealing with the situation, which was not done. The problem has been identified and will be resolved for the future. While waiting for a final resolution I will ask them to send you a new one lower rod unmodified.

Alexandre

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tmox said:

Best of luck to you! If they don’t respond to you favorably tomorrow, send me a pm and I will send you the one I fixed so at least you can hunt.

Tim

Thanks for the offer Tim.  I really appreciate but I have my Equinox that I can hunt with.  I also have my Whites Dual Scan that I can use if the conditions are right for a PI.

Joe

3 hours ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

Hello,

I am sending them an email on the subject now.
Sorry I work from my laboratory in France. I am not there inside the factory. They said they were dealing with the situation, which was not done. The problem has been identified and will be resolved for the future. While waiting for a final resolution I will ask them to send you a new one lower rod unmodified.

Alexandre

Alexandre,

By "unmodified" do you mean that I will get the same rod that just failed?  If so, will I get a "final resolution" lower rod when it is available?  At this point I do not have much confidence in the original one as there have been several failures in the AQs that are out there so far.  That being said, I do appreciate your help with getting me a rod that I can get back out on beach. 

thanks,

Joe