Broken Lower Rod On Impulse AQ ..... Update

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Exactly.  When I got mine back from a no threshold problem after 3 months it only said 'Replaced PCB Board.'  I sold it before I used it.  There was no attempt to make me a satisfied user.  Those of us who are dissatisfied have remained so and are growing in number.  When do they get around to Customer Service?

Don't think they ever will until they go the way of White's and Tesoro, which by the way had really good customer service. I guess they figure if they do good, they will go out of business 😆 They received mine on 5-5-21. Not a word from them yet.  I'll say it again just in they missed it. I see not incentive to ever purchase on of their products again. At least Minelab delivers on their machines and for the most part are durable. They may not have the best releases, but they got their act together enough to be on top. Hopefully Cuniagau's situation is resolved once he gets a clip for it.  Sad really, that a product that has so much potential is diminished with this kind of disheveled bureaucracy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

TVR, do you have pictures of yours or anyone else that has snapped the clevis.

Not yet. I'll get some up later. Will need to pull the retaining pins out and see if I can get the entire piece out.

• Like 1

Mine is a little different than cuniagau's. His pictures show a mostly solid lower piece with holes drilled in the shaft insert for the pins. Mine is hollow nearly all the way to the yoke end, meaning it is still hollow down into the thick part that is outside the shaft when assembled. All the pin holes enter the thin tube like part of the molding. As an aside, before the pictures are inserted, note in the assembly picture that the serial number sticker is getting nearly illegible. Material for that sticker might be an area for improvement too.

Edited to add: The material the yoke is make of seems to have some give to it and is a little pliable. I was thinking of epoxying it back together with a plastic rod down the middle and just use the upper pins for retainers. The flex in it has stretched the plastic enough that it is not easy to get it back in a straight line ... may have to rethink.

Here they are:

BrokeAssembled.JPG

Hollow1.JPG

Hollow2.JPG

Hollow3.JPG

Broke1.JPG

Broke2.JPG

Broke3.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

Hello, the injection mold is being modified.

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing the new part.

Did you note that the serial number sticker on the coil is getting nearly illegible? Might possibly want to go to a serial number marking that is more permanent, otherwise there won't be serial number traceability should warranty work need to take place for a coil. So far, the sticker on the electronics housing is holding up better than the coil sticker, but it is not as clear as it was when new either.

1 hour ago, tvr said:

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing the new part.

Did you note that the serial number sticker on the coil is getting nearly illegible? Might possibly want to go to a serial number marking that is more permanent, otherwise there won't be serial number traceability should warranty work need to take place for a coil. So far, the sticker on the electronics housing is holding up better than the coil sticker, but it is not as clear as it was when new either.

Most all my sticker ID’s. have faded on the coils and due to the replacement of parts, even the machine vs the test reports don’t match. I suspect that Fisher will rely on date of purchase information for warranty work. Not to worry about that. Quality control and length of replacement time are the issues. Alexandre is in France no where near Texas lol so I imagine this is frustrating for him as well. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, tvr said:

His pictures show a mostly solid lower piece with holes drilled in the shaft insert for the pins.

Here they are:

Broke1.JPG

Thank You

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carolina said:

Alexandre is in France no where near Texas lol so I imagine this is frustrating for him as well. 

Yes, I know. I'm hoping he sees many rewards for all his efforts to bring this one to market and that things go smoother for the Impulse Gold.

• Like 2

Got the spring clip today and now have a fulling functioning AQ again!  Now if we can get some sand to move!!!

• Like 3

If I was designing that U-shaped clevis part, I would have it fit outside the lower rod. There would be no weak-point where the diameter is reduced, the diameter would be larger hence stronger, and the plastic could be made much thicker, as there's no space constraint.

-------

Additional thoughts:

Have the end of the clevis tube 'wavy', to spread out stresses on the carbon rod, like seen on lugged bicycle frame joints.

Machine notches in the end of the carbon rod, to mate up with protrusions moulded into the clevis. This will help resist twisting forces.

Glue the clevis on to the rod in addition to mechanical fixings.

Clevis_7556c.jpg

• Like 6