I find lots of keys at the beach.  I have jars and cups filled with them but I've never found one of these.  I don't think they are that unique.  Perhaps it was just an old style gate key but could it have been a really old padlock key?  I can't find any markings on it.

All of the other coins were clad with no wheaties.  The closest was a 59 lincoln.  The ring is unmarked and light.

I wonder what the guys and gals waiting on their 6000s are finding?  haha

IMG_20210510_133432_079.thumb.jpg.ffed2f93a52181444e5d82f0e20d1f33.jpgIMG_20210510_133438_988.thumb.jpg.ad74c328ca20223a6a9102c94376cff4.jpgIMG_20210510_222736_252.thumb.jpg.0d3d53d0b0ce46d837fefd767067dca2.jpgIMG_20210510_222830_228.thumb.jpg.a5d2c4dafef6ca0b901a0ebef651c876.jpg

• Like 7

Looks more like a decorative coat button from the design of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We can call it a button key!  It reminded me of a button also but I think the feel of it means it was turning a heavy latch associated with a wooden door or gate.  But as I say, this is my first.  I have no idea how to age it but it was on an old part of the beach I was on so it could be up to 100 years old.

• Like 1

Ah ... you put me on to a link where there is a picture and it says:

Coraline Skeleton Key Movie Prop Book Button Shaped Door Cosplay GiftCoraline Skeleton Key Movie Prop Book Button Shaped Door Cosplay Gift -  Tanga

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I have no idea how to age it but it was on an old part of the beach I was on so it could be up to 100 years old.

Mitchell what makes one part of the beach older then another? 🙂 

strick

Parking lots, roads and houses are older here because we are so sanded in the tide beaches never have anything but recent clad.

• Like 2

Now, looking at this key find it is not really that old.  Perhaps it was a drop as someone was going from one place to another or they had an 'old sand' blanket party.  haha

1 minute ago, kac said:

Is the key bronze or plated?

It is just a pot metal.  There is evidence it had a paint coating.  The around the neck idea is a good one but 23 grams is a bit heavy.

• Like 2

I like finding the old skeleton keys, wasn't too long ago me and a buddy were hunting a hunted out spot, I had my Tejon and he had his Nox. He wasn't finding anything and I was hitting some old IH's so I pointed him over to a spot near me and almost immediately he got a nice bronze skeleton key!

• Like 2