Detecting After A Hip Replacement

I have some questions for anyone on here that has had a hip replacement. Steve has brought to my attention that there are some things you can't do anymore after healing up from a hip replacement such as lifting over 35 lbs., or running. Is there anyone else on here that also has had a hip replacement that can shed some light on how it has affected their ability to detect for gold as well as camping or setting up camp while out detecting. From what I have read there is a period of time after surgery that there are movements that are a no no. After this period, long term say  over 6 months to a few years after surgery are there things you still can't do such as kneeling down to dig a target, or bending at the waist past 90 degrees. How has it changed your life in regards to detecting and getting outdoors for extended periods of time?  The Steve I spoke with is Steve from Spokane. Thanks!

I had a hip done about 4 years ago. No real impact on my detecting beyond a couple months post-surgery. It is not as invasive a surgery as it used to be.

• Like 1

Any issues with lifting things of heavier weight.

No issues with weight. Lug 50 lb feed sacks, etc but I don't have a need to lift a whole lot more. Have carried a 45 lb pack into the backcountry without issue. I do pretty much everything I did before, maybe a bit more carefully. And I don't run.

Also have a artificial knee. Its no issue either although I occasionally hear it with standard coil on the Zed. Would probably not be able to use a 19 in.

Hello, I had one in 2019. Best thing I did. I probably do to much, but I am a personal trainer and a boxing coach. So I lift heavy, I even spar a bit. I even do some trail running (probably against Dr's wishes) but these are things I have not been able to do for 30 years. It has only benefitted my detecting. I'm more mobile, better endurance and less things hurt when I'm done than before I hD the surgery. Hiking is actually great rehab when you get a full release from Dr. My only concern was weather or not my hip would set off my detector lol. Listen to your Dr,  but you should be good.

Chris 

• Like 4

This all sounds good 👍. I sure hope I hear something within a couple weeks on whether it will be covered or not so I can get the surgery and get back to my life.

Good luck Goldseeker, hope things work out in your favor. 

It sucks getting old I was told that I need a knee replacement and have arthritis in both knees as well-and the first thing I thought about was not being able to detect anymore:sad:-so until I cant walk anymore it will be put on HOLD-until then Im going to try injections-Good luck GS :ph34r:

• Sad 1

Had the Corin mini hip 👏 brand new ...,, after 13 months on a walking stick  had to wait 12 monthsfor private health insurance.  Better than new 💪

1F3125BE-057A-4278-A77C-8906ABA1BC29.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know it’s not a hip but a mate is currently in WA with a steel knee and doesn’t appear to be having problems with it. He uses it to make sure his pin pointer and detector are working after fire up too 😂

• Haha 2