Back To Digging Everything..

Wow! Nice haul. Don't recognize any of the coins but duh. Any silver? The only gold ring I've found so far was a 5. So was a lot of other junk. 😵 Good to see some finds!

3 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Don't recognize any of the coins but duh.

Sorry F350Platinum, I should have said those dollars (gold coins) and cents (silver coins) are Ozzy.. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

It’s really made me wonder what else I’ve left behind over the last few years.

I can relate to that.  As soon as I get comfortable thinking I've got the cherry picking discrimination figured out I'm reminded that it's never that simple.

25 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

These are usually good times of the year to get out early in the morning to hit those beaches, and the island's other beach hunters know it too.. But I haven't been so lucky with the bling bling in a long time, it’s definitely back to digging all targets.

Does your competition ever lighten up in the Autumn?  I don't have much detecting competition so I can't really say, but back when I was active with recreational sports it was obvious that in the Spring everyone was tired of cabin fever and had renewed confidence and enthusiasm for outdoor activity.  And when Autumn rolled around they were ready to pack it in by the fireplace, leaving the out-of-doors for the more dedicated.  Of course I'm thinking your seasons down under may be completely upside down (so to speak 😉), being closer to the equator.

Nice finds, particularly the gold jewelry.  Since I've been in coin mode I've only found gold plated silver and copper.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm thinking your seasons down under may be completely upside down

Up here in North Queensland we've got 2 seasons, wet and dry.. 

29 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Does your competition ever lighten up in the Autumn?

It's 'game on' all year round.. when I first started on the Island in 2019 (I'm also a newby) there was only one other beach hunter, that was 'old matey'.. now there's at least 5 others, some islanders and a few mainlanders.. This is all my fault! I just can't help but claim bragging rights at the pub and now everyone's on to it.. even worse, I've also told them the best times of day and all about hunting at low-tides.. Still, the competition is very friendly and I don't begrudge the others for some amazing finds..   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I turn up my iron volume from the preset of 5 up to 10 and I dig everything.  I'm also in 'All Metal' and I relish any target from 1 to 11.  I even like the nickels (13) but anything below 19 is pretty good except the pull tabs around 14.  My negative numbers will also come up for some good finds too.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2021 at 2:35 PM, mn90403 said:

and I dig everything.

It's another lesson re-learned that's for sure mn90403.. I used to dig every thing as well but at these beaches 'coin mode' was usually the way to go, where hunting 1 and 2 dollar coins (and 50 cents) became more important than finding bling bling in amongst a load of 'dodgy' targets.. a very bad habit to get into..

At the island's other bays I've also started to hunt with a GPX5000, especially along Geoffrey Bay which is usually ignored by my competition.. Everyone drives along this bay to get to the ferry terminal or shops and not many tourists go there because its neighbouring bay has stinger nets, a surf live-saving club and public facilities (a beach hunter's paradise).. but along this bay I'm finding many old silver coins ranging from the Queen Victoria era to WWII as well as Australian pennies and half-pennies, 6 and 3 pence.. With a GPX on along this bay I dig everything and this has also yielded a few .303 and .308 bullet castings and some Victorian jewellery..        

• Like 3

Here is a map showing the different bays on Magnetic Island.. Those on Five Beach Bay are only accessible by boat or sea-kayak.. all the others you can get to on foot or some by 4WD tracks, the Radical Bay track got wiped out during the last wet season so now the best way in is from Horseshoe Bay through the national park..  

MagneticIsland.jpg

• Like 2