X Coils In Salty Northern Nevada

So you have hit a few patches out there in the flats off Jungo Road too.  I really cleaned up at a few yrs back on one of those.  Funny, nothing was very deep 10" and less.

My question for those with a GPZ-7000.  Do you spend a few thousand dollars more in coils to get a few more nuggets, or do you just purchase a GPX-6000 and have 2 machines ready at your disposal?  I myself feel 2 detectors is smarter than 1, just in case 1 goes down and or a friend wants to hunt.

Thanks for spending the time to share some of you findings/knowledge of the coils in semi salty ground.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Jasong how do you think they would go in these spots many 100 of miles from the nearest sea 😀

I think that looks like a great spot to prospect for table salt for dinner. 😀 Actually, I bet you could run that 8" out there to some degree. I definitely bet the DD on the 6000 could run there. 

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

So you have hit a few patches out there in the flats off Jungo Road too.  I really cleaned up at a few yrs back on one of those.  Funny, nothing was very deep 10" and less.

My question for those with a GPZ-7000.  Do you spend a few thousand dollars more in coils to get a few more nuggets, or do you just purchase a GPX-6000 and have 2 machines ready at your disposal?  I myself feel 2 detectors is smarter than 1, just in case 1 goes down and or a friend wants to hunt.

Thanks for spending the time to share some of you findings/knowledge of the coils in semi salty ground.

I probably whirlwinded through a place or two you are familiar with. 😀

That is the question. With the added consideration of needing to make an adapter. $1kish for a coil, $6kish for a detector with 3 coils. The 6k/DD is better even still in salt w/DD, but the 8" is likely deeper and cheaper (relative to the 14" DD on the 6k) from my limited testing (TBD still).

I feel the 6000 is tailor made for Nevada detecting. But this 8" is the cheapest way for a GPZ owner to get some good salt performance right away in Nevada. So like everything, there are multiple considerations. If I was a person who lived here, and primarily detected Nevada then 6000 all the way. However, for the Arizona guys who come up here 2 weeks a year, I feel there is a real case to be made for keeping the 7000 and getting an 8" or 10" X Coil for up here, and a 15 or 17" concentric or spiral coil for AZ. 

Certainly though if a person does not currently own a 7000, then a 6000 would be the way to go. Same goes for anyone who does not have the need or concern to eek out a few extra inches of depth here and there. It seems to cover all bases really well. And it does it while feeling crazy lightweight on the arm.

If Minelab lets X Coils make aftermarket coils for the 6000, then I'm selling my 7000 and one detector will be all I need.

• Thanks 1

I'd mention NF and Coiltek, but they are in danger of becoming irrelevant in my eyes since they only make 1 coil combined for any machine I actively use today, or plan to use in the future.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jasong said:

If Minelab lets X Coils make aftermarket coils for the 6000, then I'm selling my 7000 and one detector will be all I need.

Minelab does not let X coil do anything. You just know the X coil folks are going to do it, as soon as they can reverse engineer the coils. Unless Minelab has embedded the coil directly in the coil this time, as they did with Equinox. That would make the adapter trick all but impossible, as you would genuinely have to destroy a coil to get the chip.

I've arranged it so you and Steve F can continue to explore and report on these types of GPZ x coil and 6K comparisons for the next couple weeks. Have fun, and looking forward to hearing more from you guys. I'll be going fairly quiet for the summer as I am up to my neck in alligators and adventure. But I'll have a lot to write up later, as I am going all in on GPX 6000 gold finding this year. Gotta beat the crowd.

There are salt flats here as bad or worse than any in Australia. The salt crusting seen in the photos is very common. But the worst salt flats are not usually in the gold areas, which tend to hilly country here, with the worst salt in the flats, which tend to be lake bottom deposits, and not good gold areas.

• Like 3