X Coils In Salty Northern Nevada

Nah not a fish, have to get ML to make a 6000 fishing reel......  🤪

On 5/12/2021 at 10:36 AM, Condor said:

I'm leaving my patch lead production to people way smarter and more talented with electronics.  If anyone is interested Mitchel has a guy in Torrance, CA that does a professional job.   

I've posted Jeff's information before.  The job he did for me (his first one on an X-coil) let me know I could take that adapter anywhere without failure just like the guy doing them in Australia now.  I only have one X-coil so I'm not doing any changing of coils (and very little prospecting).  If I get a concentric I'll have to be careful each time and not be in a hurry knowing that a speed change is not necessary.

The guy who really knows soldering is Chet.  In addition he decided to splice his cable closer to the coil and it reduces strain when changing coils.  If those wires ever break for him you have more wire to play with for a repair.  Simon likes it there and doesn't have any feedback.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, Norvic said:

having been around awhile I know the day will come when ML supersede the 6000 and on and on it goes.

Who thinks this is the 'last' gold detector that Minelab will ever make?  haha  Of course Norvic is right and you can't swing more than one detector at a time.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Glad you were able to work hard enough and save enough to own both the Z and the new GPX6000

Gerry ... Norvic FOUND enough to own all of his detectors.  If this was a business then these would be his deductions because he would be in that group that makes more money from gold than it costs him.  It is more than a 'hobby' for him.  Look at his Troopy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Gerry ... Norvic FOUND enough to own all of his detectors.  If this was a business then these would be his deductions because he would be in that group that makes more money from gold than it costs him.  It is more than a 'hobby' for him.  Look at his Troopy!

Most of the people that know have paid for their detectors, but for a lot of them the hourly rate for getting them would be below minimum wages (but two fold advantage is the fun of finding it and not paying tax on it😀)

• Like 1

Soon someone will be the first to cut the cable on the 6000 to make a patch lead. I have no doubt. (Probably Simon....)

• Haha 2

Either Minelab can make more 6000 coils or X Coils will do it, I have no doubt. A smaller sniper coil, and a larger coil that goes deeper than the 17" elliptical while being lightweight will find a ready market on the 6000. And I'll be among the first to do whatever it takes to run them, if Minelab has no similar coil options.

These 2 coils would make the 7000 largely just a heavy redundancy in my eyes at that point. The outright power of ZVT might keep the 7000 at top, but only because of larger X Coils. And I'm still not convinced that the 6000 can't match the depth of the 7000 with a big, well designed coil.

If one doesn't consider X Coils on the Z, then the stock 7000 is no longer king IMO, the stock 6000 is the new king in the USA and our conditions here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The X-coil issue has really become getting more out of what you've got.  

I don't have an X-coil for my 5000 but I'm told by users it makes their detector better.  They get a boost in performance just as other aftermarket coils do for the 5000 and any detector that allows for aftermarket coils.  Some of those coils are better than others.

X-coils for a 7000 make it perform better.  Some of that is just because of smaller, lighter coils which make the 7000 more ergonomic itself.  This is a performance enhancement and when you add greater sensitivity it makes it worth the 'risk' to make an adapter.  If you own a 7000 it will perform better with an X-coil without comparing it to any other detector.  

The 6000 is new technology.  I would consider it just like a new computer or phone.  New technology handles More information and handles it faster.  New phones are 5k.  New computers have to handle large amounts of HD video.  Old computers and phones are sometimes unable to display or play.  They don't have the new chips.

Some people still have 'dumb' flip phones and they are just fine with them.  They don't need a smart phone.  Some people have smart phones and use them only for text and voice.  Each of us uses our technology differently.

Some people still have old PIs and they still find gold.  They can't find some of the gold the newer technology finds but there are many reasons to keep what you have.  Some are early adopters and others just find more places to use what they have.  Don't try to fix something that is not broke is their philosophy.

Long live innovation and get out there and find that gold and those meteorites before your prospecting lands are hit with mineral withdrawal!

• Like 6

14 hours ago, jasong said:

If one doesn't consider X Coils on the Z, then the stock 7000 is no longer king IMO, the stock 6000 is the new king in the USA and our conditions here.

You have to decide what suits your method. The bigger the coil the deeper it goes but remember that is only true for the same type of coil. At the moment the X-coil is hot but although it's appears to be a killer on deep small gold. It does not mean it better than a mono coil of the same size on larger nuggets (If it can be used in that location with out too much effort). Just remember that there are more small nuggets out there if you can find a location that you can get enough you are in front with the total numbers and hopefully weight too. 

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Some people still have 'dumb' flip phones and they are just fine with them.  They don't need a smart phone.  Some people have smart phones and use them only for text and voice.  Each of us uses our technology differently.

I have a high quality phone (more money than seen) as I only use it as beeper system ie: the wife can contact me or I can ring her hang-up and she ring me back. However the camera was worth it better than my stand alone phone. 

• Like 1