Confused About My Next Detector

I will start by saying i am a recent nevada transplant from oregon. I owned a whites mxt pro but never used it much for nugget hunting. I would like to take advantage of some of what the high dessert of nevada offers and try my hand. That being said I thought I knew which detector I would be buying until I started reading all the information I have found online, including Steve's reviews. I was going to get a whites tdi sl. Now I'm thinking maybe a GMT or waiting for the new fisher czt. Someone please give their best sales pitch and help me out. I don't have the funds to spend more than this so the minelab units are out of my price range. Keep in mind I am new to this so if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about it is because that is true.

Nevada 1616

The best thing you can do is sit back and read what Steve and others have posted. Sounds like you have a good detector to start but just maybe all you need is a smaller coil for nugget hunting. I don't know the size of coil the MXT Pro comes with..

The Best

Chuck 

I'm in the same boat as you as far as budget goes, but I think I might be ahead of you on this subject. 

If nothing else, try your best to locate a Minelab SD series pi machine.  They are the oldest (and some say the best) Minelab pi's out there, but they do a GREAT JOB. 

Don't fool around like I did.  Go straight for the best pi's made.  Minelab.

Patrick  .....

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the MXT anymore. Wish I did. The SDC 2300 Minelab is three to four times the money, I'm just not there. I have been reading so much information it is making things worse. About the time I think yes I'll get this one...I read something that makes me think well maybe I will like the other one better. I just need to pull the trigger I guess. I am waiting for the one good explanation of one machine or the other that makes me say OK this is the one for me.

If all you wanted was a good VLF nugget machine the GMT is a very good choice for Nevada. As you saw, there are a ton of good units and it gets overwhelming. My list has grown over the years, and in an attempt to just cut to the chase I added my Steve's Picks last year.

There are two theories I have seen on detectors. Theory one is all in, go for broke, go for the best, because anything less and you hurt your chances of success, and so will ultimately fail. This theory is especially prevalent in Australia due to the tough ground there and decades of heavy detecting. You hear it a lot here also, and it has very valid points.

I tend more the other way for people starting out. I know for an absolute fact I can grab any decent VLF, go detecting next week, and have gold to show for it. No doubt, 100% certainty. That being the case, I think most people need a relatively cheap starting point to find if they even really have the interest or aptitude for nugget detecting, and no reason that can't be done with a $500 - $800 VLF metal detector.

The GMT has every feature you need in a good VLF prospecting detector and is hot of the small or specimen type gold that can be found here. It does give up the multi-purpose aspects of the MXT however.

I figure a person can't ever find any gold with a good VLF they need spend no more money on detecting. Find some gold in a confident fashion first, then invest in a big bucks detector. Even then most guys keep a VLF around and for good reason.

I can promise you one thing for sure. Spending big bucks on the "best" detectors is no guarantee of success. The key is researching and putting yourself on good ground and lots of patience and hard work.

• Like 3

Patrick, Im not finding the 2100 and 2200s are you talking used? I saw one 2200 that had sold on ebay for $2300. I need to stick to about $1000 to make it work for me. I do see your point but I don't think I want to wait to make the purchase.

Well, you can't be in hurrying if you want to find a good deal on a used detector. $2300 is way too much for a used SD2200.

SD units are considered obsolete by Minelab and so you are dependent on third parties for repairs. If it really is an older unit, ask specifically about the battery as the old lead acid batteries on the models went bad for numerous reasons if not cared for properly.