Confused About My Next Detector

OK this makes a lot of sense Steve. I do believe it will take some work and time investment no matter what detector I buy. I'm left with just two questions. If I am to learn and get good at using one detector, or in other words, if I were equally as good at using the GMT or the TDI which one would work better for me? The only other question is about the rumors of a Fisher CZT. You mentioned a 2016 release. Would this unit be worth the wait?

You have so many new detectors that are coming soon if not already out. Heck I'd loan you my GMZ if was near. I just got it as a backup detector but now have one to replace it. The GMZ of White's is the low end of the GMT. The MX Sport will be out soon and all that I've heard it has a lot going for it. I hope to buy one more so for the coin hunting side of it and being waterproof.

Right now Digger Bob is testing it right now.and he knows what he's doing.

Chuck

If a SD goes south just where do you get it fixed.

In the past I've always said buy the best you can afford.The next one you can buy with the coins you found. I know on coin detectors this will whole true if you get out and use it. All detectors just need somebody behind it to work.

Chuck

Thanks Paul I really needed the added choice here...no I'm just kidding about this. I have to say that there is a reason I seem to be partial to Whites. I was born and raised about 10 minutes from the factory and I still have family there locally. If I have an issue with my detector it would be nice to know where it goes to be worked on. The Makro does sound very interesting but I know virtually nothing about this company. I am not sure there is a local sales rep that I could consult on this one.

If you are comfortable with White's no reason to look elsewhere for a VLF. It simply does not make that big a difference in the outcome when looking at VLF detectors.

The TDI and Garrett Infinium/ATX are only worth looking at if you are encountering bad ground mineralization and hot rocks. Those detectors frankly do not go much deeper than a good VLF in all metal mode, so what you are really buying is ground handling capability. At the same time you will give up an edge on smaller gold you can get with a VLF. To me those units have more value in California where there is some really nasty ground. Nevada not so much. In the end you can't say one will be better than the other because it is all about the nature of the ground and the gold you are hunting. My opinion is not any better and probably not as good as people who have been hunting Nevada for longer than I, but given what I have seen I would just as soon use a VLF as a Garrett or White's PI in Nevada. Unless you go to the next level and get a Minelab, but that is going to run more than you want to spend.

The CZX may or may not see the light of day in 2016. My bet is yes but I simply could be wrong. As far as what it brings to the table, that is a highly guarded secret at Fisher. I am hoping mainly for decent performance at a low cost and with good ergonomics but I do not expect performance exceeding anything currently on the market per se. Again, just my opinion, I could be wrong. All I can say is I never wait for new detectors coming because there are always new detectors coming.

Last tip again - never be in a hurry and consider used with transferable warranty. White's for instance has a two year transferable warranty. Buy a used one with no less than one year remaining on the warranty, and yes, if you take your time you can find one. The Makro Gold Racer being new will inevitably get the buy and try guys that give it a spin, and some will be up for sale soon used. It is inevitable with new models, and they also carry a two year transferable warranty. I buy used detectors all the time, in fact I am shopping for a used DFX right now. I use the eBay "sold listings" to determine low end resale value and stick to my guns and wait until I can get one for a price I am sure I can recover nearly 100% of later.

I can make you even more confused if I wanted because truly there are a pile of good detectors on the market. We can go round and round and talk ins and outs forever, and everyone in general backs their chosen machine because they are all pretty good. I think highly of the Gold Racer myself, but when it comes to recommending detectors I tend to be very conservative and tell people to stick with the most popular well known, well proven units. You can't blame the detector if it has been used successfully by lots of people for lots of years and resale is easy if you decide it was not for you.

Take your time, tons of old posts on this forum and others to look over. At the end of the day just do whatever feels comfortable. Best wishes on a difficult decision!

• Like 1

Nevada1616, there is an add in the San Francisco Bay area craigs list for a GP3000, asking $1200.00. I don't know if this is what you had in mind, just thought id share this in case it is something that might work for you.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/5424080734.html

• Like 1