Preferred Detecting Hat(s)

Hats off to Minelab, hats off to you all, hats as giveaways, I’ll throw my hat... you get it, but doing a search of past topics didn’t hit many if any results on protection from the sun and detecting comfort on a search although a topic buried in here in places I’m sure. Mitchel mentioned a hat solution in a discussion thread with Norvic for using headphones with the 6000 and it got me looking to see what was available at the moment if I want to use headphones instead of my preferred earbuds I have to ditch my wide brim sun hat for a ball cap and put up with the heat of the sun on the back of my neck and shoulders. I was going to convert that hat with hot glue and Velcro to headphone ready but decided to try a commercial version first. Looking around there were only a couple of options, one a sporty outback looking hat be fit on any fashionable lad that I liked but the sun protection was minimal so I ordered a stingray brand audiophile hat that looks like it should be good with the 6000’s headphones.

anyone here tried one of these out or have another solution, what’s your preferred protection from Mother Nature and to stay comfortable detecting?

40112295-2323-4F14-92DB-76709FFAD736.thumb.jpeg.c875756456a17b5debc9940311167dd5.jpeg

• Like 6

Mr. 1515

Don't blame me - your the one who brought up the subject of detecting hats and now I get to go off on one of my favorite rants

why in the #&&(( can't some detector manufacturing company provide us with a #%$^ hat that doesn't have a &%$%@ rivet right where the headphone cross  piece sits.

Thank you 1515. I feel much better now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, klunker said:

Mr. 1515

Don't blame me - your the one who brought up the subject of detecting hats and now I get to go off on one of my favorite rants

why in the #&&(( can't some detector manufacturing company provide us with a #%$^ hat that doesn't have a &%$%@ rivet right where the headphone cross  piece sits.

Thank you 1515. I feel much better now.

Ha, now that you mention it that is a major flaw, one of those things nagging away in the background a pebble in the shoe that can’t be removed slowly drilling down as the shadows grow long. A giant screw would at least help keep the hat in place in high wind, lol.

1 hour ago, WesD said:

These in summer save me: Sun Shirt

Wes, those look pretty good I’ll have to get one I’m slowly toasting to a nice shade of toasted leather.

• Like 1

https://funnelwebheadwear.com.au/funnelweb_prodLargeBrim.php

Got a couple of these Australian made ones.

Summer time wide brims: the Prospector style for using headphones & the Worker if using earbuds or speaker.

Winter time I just grab one of the many free baseball caps I've got around the place. Can wear headphones over them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Mens Women's Legionnaire Cap Sun Hat UV Neck Protection Summer Fishing Fish Hat | eBay

I`ve this one on the way (coz it`s available in OZ) just in case the Torus band is not the go.

That looks like it’ll do the job and keep the pads of the detector off the ears, nice choice.

The hat I actually find keeps me the most cool and comfortable is one I found out shopping for the largest brim I could find at the time for some reason there weren’t that many choices locally. Walmart had nothing really in the men’s dept that was going to provide much protection, but they had a couple in the ladies section so I grabbed the one that gave the most shade and headed to the checkout counter, lol.

This is a woven straw hat that has great ventilation a really wide brim, super lightweight and once I cut the fancy band off reasonably normal looking, not that I care... the parasol effect works great and having my shoulders protected from the sun is noticeably cooler and the hat is comfortable all day long. I pair it with one of those gel bead filled evaporation cooling neckerchiefs and I’m fairly comfortable in the Arizona summer heat, to a point.

My earbud bonnet.

80565B24-17C3-48CC-9C14-094209BCD81B.thumb.jpeg.183cdc767ec3592b4ea66d4fe82acb95.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AussieMatt said:

https://funnelwebheadwear.com.au/funnelweb_prodLargeBrim.php

Got a couple of these Australian made ones.

Summer time wide brims: the Prospector style for using headphones & the Worker if using earbuds or speaker.

Winter time I just grab one of the many free baseball caps I've got around the place. Can wear headphones over them.

That’s what I was looking for with a full brim it just wasn’t available here.

Nice Wes, a shirt like that is exactly what I have been looking for and had no clue what to call it. I had to stop detecting after 30 mins today because my arms couldn't take any more sun and the heat above 75 or 80 degrees just destroys me now unless it's fully cloudy out.

• Like 1

You will like that shirt Jason. Get the white one as it really keeps you cool and saves your arms.  I think they also have a more expensive ,with a neck gator built in, but the original one works great.

• Like 2