Preferred Detecting Hat(s)

I also detect with a sunblock shirt, it buttons up, has a collar and long sleeves with ample pockets.

VERY helpful in the sun.

• Like 2

Jason and Wes.  I use the nylon long sleeve fishing shirts from Cabelas.  They sre SPF50 and the back vents are great.  I have been using these for many summers out in the field for my job. Ever since I had to have some skin cancer removed I only wear SPF cloths now when I’m outside.  I usually buy a few when on sale for $20.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/world-wide-sportsman-nylon-angler-20-long-sleeve-shirt-for-men?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqL7picbF8AIVGvLjBx2O_AoIEAQYBSABEgJRyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 3

I always have long sleeve shirts for sun protection. These work really well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFPXBJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the hat, I went with MN's recommendation, excellent choice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SPZ6237/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My temperature limit for detecting is 100 deg F (38 deg C), unless it's cloudy then I can go up to 105. That's where most I know quit. Jasong, get used to desert prospecting, these temperatures are normal for AZ/CA/NV unless you only go hunting in winter time. No pain no game. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me when I am out in the summer heat I have only used a normal ball cap, but I also use a damp towel from the cooler for the top of my head to my shoulders. I learned this from my grandfather when we went panning for gold. I could use it for hours upon hours and stay cool. When I started to get warm I would simply replace it with a fresh one again.

Total cost, Free hat from almost any vendor, and the towel was about 2 bucks.

• Like 2

I found the best outfit for me was a light weight Khaki electrician full cover overalls (no metal). I always got a size larger and cut the legs down a bit. This gave me plenty of room for air movement. As for the head I used a hat with a cap and a long tail to cover my neck. So you can't call me a RED NECK.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, WesD said:

You will like that shirt Jason. Get the white one as it really keeps you cool and saves your arms.  I think they also have a more expensive ,with a neck gator built in, but the original one works great.

I couldn't get one delivered to the RV park fast enough before I leave, so I went to Big R and got a generic equivalent. This freakin' shirt saved my trip man, went out all day in it and the sun couldn't touch me. Thank you for posting that link.

I've prospected 120 degree days in AZ, and worked -25 degree w/40mph winds on the rig floor in Wyoming, been in some weather. But the last few years any amount of sun hitting me when the temp is over 75 or so just destroys me. This shirt rules, it's hat + sun protection combined. And way cooler than a normal long sleeve so no overheating.

• Like 5

On 5/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, geof_junk said:

I found the best outfit for me was a light weight Khaki electrician full cover overalls (no metal). I always got a size larger and cut the legs down a bit. This gave me plenty of room for air movement. As for the head I used a hat with a cap and a long tail to cover my neck. So you can't call me a RED NECK.😁

Definitely not recommended where I am, especially if hunting an prospecting exist together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Check out Doc's site for a shade hat that you can use headphones with, I have one and it is comfortable. 

MSC

• Like 1