Making The Move From GPZ 7000 To GPX 6000

There was much 'speculation' that Minelab was not going to cannibalize its customers.  It was stated that the new model was going to fit into a marketing niche that would preserve their 'line.'

This type of thinking has been totally abandoned now.  Sell your 7000.  Sell your 2300.  Why do you need a Gold Monster?  (Have I missed any gold detectors?)  haha  (I did miss all of the GPXs that came before ... 5000 down the line.  Sell them too!)

You only need a 6000 and an 800.  The 800 is the king of VLFs and it is not the most expensive either. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

You only need a 6000 and an 800.  The 800 is the king of VLFs and it is not the most expensive either.

A most accurate statement in my opinion 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, enough said already ... the 6000 is the latest and greatest.  Get one if you can.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

There was much 'speculation' that Minelab was not going to cannibalize its customers.  It was stated that the new model was going to fit into a marketing niche that would preserve their 'line.'

This type of thinking has been totally abandoned now.  Sell your 7000.  Sell your 2300.  Why do you need a Gold Monster?  (Have I missed any gold detectors?)  haha  (I did miss all of the GPXs that came before ... 5000 down the line.  Sell them too!)

One would for sure conclude that from reading the forum posts......

Just checked Ebay. I was totally expecting the 6000 would be offered for $20.000 or something like that. Was the same for N95 masks when the Covid sh.t hit the fan. The highest I have seen was 10 masks for $1600. Well, I am sure the 6000 will show up on Ebay soon, with no "sufficient" supply to the US coming anytime soon, apparently

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Mitch, you’d/you’ll enjoy the 6000.  We where taking turns using Steve’s 6000.  Condor, would hand it off to me.  I’d set my 7000 down and grab the 6000, it had a sensation that it wanted to float it’s so light weight 😂.  One of the tester had the 800 Nox with the new after market coil (forgot name of coil). I can see you with both with a smile on your face well into the future.

Rick

• Thanks 1

Much of Minelab's production has been switched to Malaysia over the years.  I went there in 1999.  It is a country of two cultures really.  It is a mostly Muslim country but it also has a large Chinese population.  I don't know what areas the assembly of the detectors would be but Ramadan just ended.  I don't know what the lack of chips and Covid have done to their supply chain but we can all assume it is not good.  That explains some of the delay for those of you selling or buying the 6000 right now.

I suspect there are thousands of the units in the distribution channel as we speak and no one has a way to get the shipping information from Malaysia.  Air cargo has to be the way to go with this stuff.

They will be here when they are here and not a moment before!

• Like 2

The thing that really keeps the 7000 relevant IMO, and very ironically, is the existence of X Coils, which Minelab will not support... And since ML won't make a smaller coil themselves, this made me start to lean away from the software update idea bringing GeoSense to ZVT (something I've been saying for months, why is Norvic getting the credit? lol), and tend to agree more with Steve that Minelab does not seem interested in throwing more money at the 7000 for that same reason, among others. Which makes me want to give up on it too. But hey, there are still lots of people swinging 5000's so there is still clearly demand for older tech and the 7000 is better than the 5000 in every way IMO (except weight) if you run X Coils, so I'm sure there will be demand for older 7000's too if the price is right used.

Where that leaves demand through their current product line, I don't know. But there are options to meet or exceed the performance of the 6000 in some areas with the 7000 still with coils so those who own one now have a cheaper way to meet or beat 6000 performance already (just not weight or speed). If ML wants to keep 7000 really relevant, about the best thing they could possibly do right now is sell a factory made patch lead.

Even with a software update to the 7000, I don't see it meeting the performance of the 6000 in salt with the stock coil. And I don't see ML releasing a new coil for it 6 years later. So, I'm guessing there is a new ZVT machine that will come out in a year or two, but that's 100% a guess.

And at that point we will all think that's the only machine we need to own. And so on and so forth. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Also, it bears saying, for someone in AZ, I'm not sure the case for a 6000 is so strong as in NV unless weight and prospecting are primary factors in a purchase. Keep in mind, the things we are writing are based on using the machine in Northern Nevada. The conditions here are unlike most of the rest of the US. This needs to be taken into consideration

For AZ patches, I'll be running a 7000 with the 17" concentric and/or 17" spiral. I predict the 6000 is on prospecting duty only there, or doing patch cleanup when it's down to the dinks only.

• Like 2

Jason,

Your more than right!  Kind of like my 2010 Dodge Ram, I love it.  Still gets me to where I want to go and back home, very reliable.  I look at the new Trucks with tons of new Technology, bright and shiny.  All I see is Desert Pin Stripes in the new paint and dusty interior...but, the new bells and whistles.  I’ll hold off for now on a new truck 😂

• Like 1