Can We Stir The Pot? Minelab GPZ 7000 Still King Of Detectors In The U.S.

I think if we lived in the US I would downsize to the 6000 from the Z and probably sell SWMBO's ML 2300 and our backup ML 4500, for 2 x 6000's, ditto if we only detected in Vic Golden Triangle and South Australia, but with visits to WA in the future as in the past and health holding up will still use the Z with NF and xcoils.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

All due respect Steve, the  Zs update function has added semi-auto GB an additional brilliant feature that has helped recover more gold, thus ML have shown they can and do add features to the Z, for me I`d be prepared to pay for maxing out or adding features that the hardware in the Z can handle if it keeps the Z at the leading edge and I suspect I`m not alone amongst Z users here. 

And don't forget Patch mode / Salt Mode that was added via software update, from memory at the same time as Semi Auto, which gave it better ground handling ability over nasty ground.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 3

Updating the software on your computer is to fix BUGS. This is to the advantage of ML but more so for the inconvenient of sending your Detector back to ML for the owner. (lost time in transit, repair time and postage costs.) 

Yeah I would say that if Minelab was to do an update it definitely would not be Geosense.  Look at all the processors in the 6k, it probably takes that many to run that software.  Plus you can not even run the GPS at the same time as detecting unless you want button lag in 7, so if they do update software it would only be an emulation to “try” and mimic Geosense if that at all.  If they were going to do anything and waste their time they would try to put together some thing together to make the current settings combined automatically and call them Preset 1,2,3 etc.

11 hours ago, araratgold said:

And don't forget Patch mode / Salt Mode that was added via software update, from memory at the same time as Semi Auto, which gave it better ground handling ability over nasty ground.

Cheers,

Rick

Yeah I think you are right, Patch & Salt were added when Semi-auto, semi-auto was the one I use as both Patch & Salt although I tried didn`t prove of use in most the country I do. I imagine they are both used regularly in your country. Anyhow as I posted I hope ML can and do update the Z of course within its hardware constraints to refine its ability more, but it would have to not exclude the use of the X coils as I and many others know they add to the Zs ability.

To clarify in relation to the 40% I did not knock this claim of MLs in fact in a post on this thread I said I do believe in circumstances the Z exceeds this 40%, my objective in those two posts was to illustrate in % the gain I believe the 6000 added. I apologize if this wasn`t stated clearly, far from knocking MLs claim I believe it is so, not that I don`t like having a bit of fun about it, so again I apologize to the ML Testors and to you Rob as thread Author.

Hey Norvic,

Yes, the Patch mode/Salt was added along with the Semi-Auto on one of the GPZ 7000 updates.  

I also agree with you Norvic, in places I would say the Minelab GPZ 7000 has gotten greater gains than the 40% claim, and in other spots much less.  I'm here in Arizona, some goldfields are tough, tons of ironstones, volcanics and hot ground.  In other places, the ground is very mild.  

Rob

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

There were rumors about a year after the release of the GPZ 7000 here in the US about a possible "discrimination upgrade."  I'm by far any type of software/firmware or hardware expect, so I couldn't tell you one way or another.  I didn't think it was possible or would happen, but anything is possible I guess.  I would think if Minelab was going to do something like, it would have been done already.  Why wait 5-7 years before making such an release?  

Makes you wonder if there will by anymore.  Looks like there was 3 software updates, 2 in 2015 and 1 in 2017.   They all can be viewed here on Minelab's website - 

https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/gpz-7000 

• Like 1

Hey Geof,

I have to agree with you about Depth is not the only factor.  We just got a batch of the new Nugget Finder Z Searchoils in, but it's a smaller order than expected and all of them are spoken for and had been for some time.  That being said, this new Nugget Finder Z Search coil is amazing and allows much greater sensitivity to even smaller gold and smaller specimens.  The coil is also super lightweight compared to the stock Minelab 14x13.  

We should have more coming, but we already have customers on a pre-order list for the second round, so if anything is looking to increase their sensitivity and get a lighter and smaller coil, the Nugget Finder is the ticket!

Rob

• Like 4