Can't Look Too Long Without Buying.... This Time An Xterra 705

I'm in a bad way.....when I can't detect I look at detectors and when I look at detectors I end up buying detectors.

Now I've got an Xterra 705 on the way.    I told my wife I was buying something light weight for her.....we will see if she remembers and gives me the normal big eye roll when it shows up at the door or a chewing out.    She does like to detect, so it will be a fresh air outing, even if we don't detect very long or find anything.

Not always been a fan of the Xterra but it will do what I want it to do, which is give me a nice powerful all metal mode with a iron mask option.

HH

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Not always been a fan of the Xterra but it will do what I want it to do, which is give me a nice powerful all metal mode with a iron mask option.

So you're referring to the prospecting side (mode) of the detector as opposed to the coin&relic side?  Will your wife be using that to find small jewelry?

• The title was changed to Can't Look Too Long Without Buying.... This Time An Xterra 705

Mike

If you really wanted to go lite weight the ORX would have been the way to go. You can take the controller off if need to and put it in your pocket.Then you just about have no weight at all other than the shaft and coil.

The Best To You!

Chuck 

• Like 2

Mike what I would have done I’d got the ORX and took her with me so she could carry the controller. Then you could bought her the MI6 that way she could pinpoint it and while she’s down there she just as well dig it for you.

The little more in cost may have been worth it.

Chuck 

Mike,

Have you tested the X-Terra in Prospect mode on micro gold. 

This is from a post Steve did.

"The Prospect mode is a true threshold based all metal mode, which is much more powerful. Simply toggling between the two easily proves this. The part that I admit I am unclear on myself is how the iron mask differs from standard discrimination except the obvious - it applies to ferrous only and so uses a different methodology that appears to have minimal impact on performance. It may be a form of mixed mode processing, also discussed in my article."

I've always heard you can't have a true all metal and disc. So the iron mask is interesting that you can have true all metal. It's  unfortunate there is no display in Prospect mode. That really would help when hunting for gold. 

• 2 weeks later...

It only came with 7.5 kHz coils.   I'm looking into what 18.75 kHz coil I want to get.    7.5 kHz is 7.5 kHz and matches expectations on small gold pickup....however iron mask in prospecting mode seems limited in 7.5 kHz.   I have a rusty iron staple: 0.5" wide x 1.375" long x 1/16" diameter  I use to set my iron disc with and it accepts on iron mask setting of 1 and rejects on 2.   I'm hoping the 18.75 kHz coil would accept it at a higher iron mask setting.   

Anybody know if this would be true before I spend more money?

HH
Mike

I would like to hear more about the Prospect mode and iron mask. It's the first true all metal detector I've seen that has iron mask with it. That is interesting and has me interested. The X-Terra is a lot like the Equinox. The Equinox doesn't have an all metal mode with iron mask though.

4 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

I have a rusty iron staple: 0.5" wide x 1.375" long x 1/16" diameter  I use to set my iron disc with and it accepts on iron mask setting of 1 and rejects on 2.   I'm hoping the 18.75 kHz coil would accept it at a higher iron mask setting.

Can you take a photo of that staple (and include something for scale)?  I have both the 6" DD hockey puck and the 5"x9" DD (gold version stock coil) that both run at 18.75 kHz so I can do a test.  (I'll need to find a similar staple, or make one.  Since I have kept hundreds of trash targets and am a packrat on top of it, I don't think this part will be too tough.)  Also, I assume your test was done in air, but how far from the coil do you pass the staple, and in what orientation?

• Like 1