Once Again At My Favorite Beach - GPX 5000

7 hours ago, Raphis said:

Sounds like you have your 5000 dialed in for hunting your beaches. 👍🏼 There has been some talk in the prospecting forum about hunting the beaches with the new GPX 6000.  The 6000 seems much more simplistic, and doesn’t have iron reject or timings (can’t delineate between high/low conductors on a 6000 like you can on the earlier GPX machines ??).  I saw you express some interest in possibly seeing how a 6000 would perform as a beach machine...it seems like you will lose your conductor delineation ability.  I’m thinking the 6000 would perform like a super-charged TDI Pro (with the Ground Balance set off), allowing you to “angle” for specific deep targets based only on target response (i.e. shape of the sound (smooth, double blip, single blip, etc).  Do you have any additional/contrasting thoughts on this subject you’d like to share?? 

EDIT:  after rereading Steve H’s review/experience with his 6000, he did talk about the following tone delineations:  “The tone tricks still work, with most small gold going high tone, and most big gold (meaning cans) going low tone. If you have nothing but sub-gram gold, it is unlikely a low tone signal is gold.”  

I wonder if the cutoff point between high/low conductors (as you described earlier) on your 5000 (zinc penny range ??) would be similar on the 6000....(just food for thought...I’m just trying to hypothesize a beach scenario utilizing  a 6000).

Yeah, it has left to us speculating on how it will do. I'm thinking it will handle the annoying, moderate EMI I get on this beach. With that gone it will be easier to hear the deep targets. It probably still has timings, you just can't choose them. If as advertised, it is really all soil all the time, one would guess that they found a way to get it to work everywhere, therefore not needing all those manual timing adjustments. They basically automated the 5000 is my guess. It's hard for us old guys that have 40, 50 years detecting to get rid of old ideas on how to use a machine. In the old days, it would be suicide to let a manufacturer limit us. That is how we tweaked the machine to get great depth. But technology is so advanced, that it may be better to let the machine maximize itself, and just adjust sensitivity. I still would love to have some ability to overdrive the unit. And yes, the sound of the 6000 sounds like it is the same as the 5000., with the low/high response.  I think it will perform well on the beach. No discrimination does take away some perks, but the pluses probably heavily outweigh the negatives. I've heard and seen enough from You tube videos to get on board. I probably will not get mine in time for the remaining beach season out here, but maybe someone will be generous enough to let me detect their private beach 😄. But I will get a chance to try it in a hunted out Native American village. All items are part of an authorized project, so the fun is in just finding things. This spot has been hammered by the 5000, ATX, Equinox, Deus, CTX, E Trac, DFX. Will be interesting for sure.

• Like 3