Once Again At My Favorite Beach - GPX 5000

5 minutes ago, Jim in ma said:

Nice piece of AU Hardnox 👍    Has it been claimed yet???

Not yet.  😄 The boss is away visiting the kids. I think it's too small for her anyways. She's getting picky  - 1/2 ct or better is all she wants now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

At least she lets you GO detecting ! skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh 

I'm single so I don't know these things but I have friends that show me by example ..... 🥴

She's a good egg 😄. Never gives me a hard time about detecting or buying new machines.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That's a lot of digging!! Love the Gold! Always makes the trip easier driving home. 🏴‍☠️

Thanks Joe. With traffic back on the roads these days, it's a bit over 2 hours to home. I always drive faster when I get gold 😆. I'm trying to reach 200 silver coins from this beach this season (09/2020 thru 05/2021). If I'm lucky I have 2 more trips remaining to get 13 silvers. Before, that would have been easy. It's dried up now, so I may not make it. ☹️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

.... I'm trying to reach 200 silver coins from this beach this season (09/2020 thru 05/2021). If I'm lucky I have 2 more trips remaining to get 13 silvers....

Well at the current price of silver, let's hope you make it !

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, Raphis said:

I have a TDI Pro...it has the low, all, high switch settings, but those are only applicable when the ground balance is enabled...I easily lose 4” to 6” of depth if I turn on ground balance on the TDI Pro.  Yes, I have to swing very slowly in wet or mineralized sand to keep the threshold more stable, but that extra depth is key for having a chance at the older finds when there’s no erosion present. 

I’ve never used a Minelab PI before , but if you don’t have any loss of depth and are still able to hear high/low, low/high conductivities, that’s the cat’s meow!! 👍🏼👍🏼  I believe a Garrett ATX can give similar conductive delineation of target response with no loss of depth also. 

Just to elaborate on the loss of depth question. There is no loss of depth while using any timing, while in that timing, since the machine still responds to high and low conductors. You just ignore the high conductors when you want to focus on low conductors. But you still hear them. But that does not mean it responds to each the same. It may prefer low conductors based on how that timing works. So I pick a timing that responds to low conductors better than another timing that might favor high conductors. How you choose from all available timings can result in a loss of depth. That just means that timing is not the right one for the type of target you are hunting for and the type of soil you are in. So using something like the "fine gold" timing may not be a good choice for looking for deep coins and may not hear them as well or at all. The depth loss is dependent more on your choices in timings as well as the other controls.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Well at the current price of silver, let's hope you make it !

The price of all metals is way up there. Even copper pennies are worth it now  😄 If they made our coins out of Rhodium, we would all be set for life! The wife just informed me she wants to go Thursday to the beach. I will bring the Equinox for her. Free labor 👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Just to elaborate on the loss of depth question. There is no loss of depth while using any timing, while in that timing, since the machine still responds to high and low conductors. You just ignore the high conductors when you want to focus on low conductors. But you still hear them. But that does not mean it responds to each the same. It may prefer low conductors based on how that timing works. So I pick a timing that responds to low conductors better than another timing that might favor high conductors. How you choose from all available timings can result in a loss of depth. That just means that timing is not the right one for the type of target you are hunting for and the type of soil you are in. So using something like the "fine gold" timing may not be a good choice for looking for deep coins and may not hear them as well or at all. The depth loss is dependent more on your choices in timings as well as the other controls.

Sounds like you have your 5000 dialed in for hunting your beaches. 👍🏼 There has been some talk in the prospecting forum about hunting the beaches with the new GPX 6000.  The 6000 seems much more simplistic, and doesn’t have iron reject or timings (can’t delineate between high/low conductors on a 6000 like you can on the earlier GPX machines ??).  I saw you express some interest in possibly seeing how a 6000 would perform as a beach machine...it seems like you will lose your conductor delineation ability.  I’m thinking the 6000 would perform like a super-charged TDI Pro (with the Ground Balance set off), allowing you to “angle” for specific deep targets based only on target response (i.e. shape of the sound (smooth, double blip, single blip, etc).  Do you have any additional/contrasting thoughts on this subject you’d like to share?? 

EDIT:  after rereading Steve H’s review/experience with his 6000, he did talk about the following tone delineations:  “The tone tricks still work, with most small gold going high tone, and most big gold (meaning cans) going low tone. If you have nothing but sub-gram gold, it is unlikely a low tone signal is gold.”  

I wonder if the cutoff point between high/low conductors (as you described earlier) on your 5000 (zinc penny range ??) would be similar on the 6000....(just food for thought...I’m just trying to hypothesize a beach scenario utilizing  a 6000).