6000 Vs Z7000 With X-coils Combo

I think the dead horse is still going to be beat more!  Hasn't it all been said?  As JP said ... different detectors ... same words.

• Thanks 1

What I got out of the Fat Bastard video was how smooth the ZED with 17 CC was, and how bloody ratty the 6K was ! Numerous others have also made mention of the speaker / EMI problem, requiring numerous noise cancels ! If the little 11 inch is that bad for EMI, how bad will the 17 inch be ?

Also, the ZED smashed the target over the spinifex, the 6K couldn't hear it, and could barely hear it even at ground level in difficult !

I questioned FB about why it was so ratty, and he stated it was being driven flat out. So why then did it not get the nugget over the spinny, and could barely get it at ground level ??

This is a confirmed list of shortcomings / observations so far :

Huge depth loss with the DD on deeper larger targets.

DD is heavy, requiring a bungy if you are using it for extended periods.

DD does not discriminate ! WHY did they remove that ability ??

The mono coil can not be put into cancel mode and used for pinpointing large targets. WHY did they remove that ability ??

No ability to change the threshold tone, to suit various hearing problems. WHY did they remove that ability ??

Can not use the existing aftermarket coils. You are locked into Minelab's limited coil selection, and let's face facts, Minelab have NEVER built the best coils ! WHY did they remove that ability ?

EMI problems.

The plastics used on the coils are very soft and easily scratched, someone has gone through a skid plate already !

Threshold OFF is not really off, because you can still hear the EMI squeaks.

Users are reporting a lot of ground noise with the 11 mono.

The reality is that it is only 300 grams lighter than the current GPX, although they are selling it as if it is super light.

The shafts and coil mount look flimsy, will they survive the test of time ?

$8K for that, no thanks !!! 

Ps : Check out this video, where the reporters at the end describe the ZED vs 6K as Godzilla vs Bambi !

Rick

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

In the vids Ive seen so far the 6000 sounds just like a warblelly 2300-thats one thing that drove me nuts when I had my 2300-very unstable-Buttt with that said I think the 6000 will be a big hit because of its simplicity just like the GM 1000-makes newbies chances of hitting gold a whole lot easier-:ph34r:

• Like 1

I guess there is some life in the old horse!

Some of us need videos to see products before purchasing.  Especially large purchases and since there are no dealers within a ~13 hour drive.  Most people with a brain should be able to pick out the flaws in the videos but they still provide information and you get to see the products in use.  Combine that with in-depth reviews and you can make informed decisions.

• Like 2

Like the Vid above, Thanks for posting.

Re the 6000 and Ground Noises and Hot Rocks, with more sensitivity, am probably going get some of this with a 10 Inch Xcoil on my Z, ( minimal with the standard coil) so will be looking at ground balancing on Hot Rocks to minimise it.

When it comes to coils, I might not be fully correct but as a rule of thumb the size of the RX (receive) coil is the main factor in depth. The physical size of the coil varies depending on the type of coil. Mono, Double D, DOD, Concentric and Vertical Co-planar RX winding vary compared to the coil dimensions. So if you are comparing depth by coil size then you should use the same style. Mono and Vertical Co-planar have the same size transmit winding same as the coil.(allowing for casing) The DD,DOD and Concentric TX winding are smaller than the coil size. I forgot the Wheatstone (1 large transmit and 4 receive coils) but most of you are to young to know about them (History). The mono has to be tuned by the detectorist  but the other uses the electrical characteristics of the coil design to reduce EMI and ground effects. The lightest would be a mono but the detector will have to cope with EMI and ground effects       

• Like 1

That 'ol FatBastard must be fun around camp   !

You guy's down under (under what?) sure have found a "GEM" with that one ! 

Would have loved to put him on stage to give a detecting demonstration before a show !!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR t'would have been a tough act to follow ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

(It'll take a while to be able to get either the 6 or 7 for me. But I learn a lot between the vids and forum postings...this forum is GOLD for that to me ...)

I don't know who confirmed the list of issues Rick? The only people I've heard complaining about it are YouTube talking heads on sticks & those who don't own one + don't want one?

If you are happy with what you're using why worry? It won't suit everyone just as the GPZ won't!

"This is a confirmed list of shortcomings / observations so far :"

"Huge depth loss with the DD on deeper larger targets. DD is heavy, requiring a bungy if you are using it for extended periods. DD does not discriminate ! WHY did they remove that ability ??"

The DD is a specific situations coil IMO. It will do better in certain circumstances than the monos. It's not heavy? It's pretty light for a DD. I can't see most people needing to get trussed up like a Xmas chook to swing it. Maybe one of those shoulder slings if using it all day? How many people can honestly put their hands on heart & say they've extensively (or even occasionally) used discrimination or for that matter DD coils on GPX4500/5000? Not many I know of on the East Coast anyway. Possibly should have left it though to keep everyone happy?

"The mono coil can not be put into cancel mode and used for pinpointing large targets. WHY did they remove that ability ??"

No idea, no issue to me

"No ability to change the threshold tone, to suit various hearing problems. WHY did they remove that ability ??"

No idea, no issue to me

"Can not use the existing aftermarket coils. You are locked into Minelab's limited coil selection, and let's face facts, Minelab have NEVER built the best coils ! WHY did they remove that ability ?"

Geosense? 

"EMI problems."

On NSW we cop the lot. Atmospherics, flight paths & infrastructure. Haven't had any major dramas yet & it's quicker to settle down than past GPX's IMO. Way less susceptible to air traffic to IMO - settles down very quickly.

"The plastics used on the coils are very soft and easily scratched, someone has gone through a skid plate already !"

The plastic to me on the coils isn't soft at all. Seems pretty tough really. The finish is high gloss & a lot more susceptible to getting marked than a matte type surface or textured surface. Whoever done the skid plate already is either doing some huge hours or using it as a rock rake?

"Threshold OFF is not really off, because you can still hear the EMI squeaks."

Same as most no threshold machines I've used. All have had the odd spurious ground noise or EMI spike but easily seperated from a signal. Don't use it personally. Prefer the threshold.

"Users are reporting a lot of ground noise with the 11 mono."

I read about the hot rocks etc. so purposely went to an area the SDC, other GPX's & GPZ picked them up. Didn't get any with the GPX6000. All rocks contained gold. Myth busted? 😂 More ground to cover yet!

"The reality is that it is only 300 grams lighter than the current GPX, although they are selling it as if it is super light."

It's not the weight it's the balance. Ergonomically you have to use one to believe it. Feels way lighter than it is? Go figure. I love that aspect of it. 

"The shafts and coil mount look flimsy, will they survive the test of time ?"

Heaps better than past SD/GP/GPX shafts & especially the locks. At this early stage I reckon they'll last especially with some simple maintenance i.e. wipe the dust/dirt off if overly dusty/dirty. Similar to the Sandy Shaft locks 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2