Raining Hard At Sawtooth & Rye Patch

25 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

The last time I tried driving through that all my armor plates underneath my truck had to be removed for cleaning, when I dropped them it looked like someone tried to cook brownies in them and it was packed up to the transmission, oil pan and rhe other parts and left imprints of them in the hardened silt. My transmission started to get hot, and the radiator was clogged closed with silt. Admittedly, I drove rather fast to get through the silt and that’s what did it all in. Never again.

A8EE4497-BFF4-454E-BF6F-119EA84E24BE.thumb.jpeg.b272eda0812cea3c950386b08e8cf056.jpeg

The stuff is seriously nasty, and lots of car washes want nothing to do with you dropping 200 lbs of mud in their facility. Can't blame them, I do not want it either.

I really do not want to be out there when it gets like that, but if you are out for any amount of time you will get caught. Like I've said and will repeat - best bet is to not move until things dry out a bit.

The worst part is it means lots of salt signal, and possibly too much grass in places I'd like to hunt. There is a huge difference between northern Nevada in a dry year, and one when it is wet and the grasses and stuff go wild. As in the difference between hunting bare ground, or wading through a foot and a half of dense grasses. This year started dry and bare, but now will green up fast unless this stuff stops completely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dry and breezy at the patch today. Did not detect, but roads are passable. Ground is wet at about 2 inches. Will be in area for a week or so. Some in Rye Patch and some just exploring for new areas.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GotAU? said:

The last time I tried driving through that all my armor plates underneath my truck had to be removed for cleaning, when I dropped them it looked like someone tried to cook brownies in them and it was packed up to the transmission, oil pan and rhe other parts and left imprints of them in the hardened silt. My transmission started to get hot, and the radiator was clogged closed with silt. Admittedly, I drove rather fast to get through the silt and that’s what did it all in. Never again.

A8EE4497-BFF4-454E-BF6F-119EA84E24BE.thumb.jpeg.b272eda0812cea3c950386b08e8cf056.jpeg

That's incredible, what a nasty stuff. I wanted to go to an area close to RP but after reading Steve's post (thanks again!) I decided last minute to drive down south to the El Pasos. Weather was supposed to be sunny and windy. I drove up a canyon and I was just about to gear up as a huge thunderstorm hit, out of nowhere. It didn't last long, but enough to make the ground soaked. Not a good weekend for prospecting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

Not a good weekend for prospecting.

Better than a weekend of doing your taxes!  haha

• Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in the Winnemucca, NV region tomorrow and Sunday. Probably checking out one of the Comstock Gold Prospectors claims. If someone wants to meet up, PM me 🤠 

• Like 1