Raining Hard At Sawtooth & Rye Patch

3 minutes ago, Condor said:

The sun is out, need a stiff breeze to dry things out.  The ground around Sawtooth soaked down 2 to 3 inches.  The back roads are pretty slimey.

Yep, you thought I left early!  My phone is loaded with weather/radar apps and most times I’m more correct than those so called Weather Readers on TV.  Best part of that rain is it settled down the dusty trails for the Side X Side.  My eyes 👀 where tearing mud.  Give a report, on the 6000 handling the fresh wet ground there.

Rick

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

When I am out there, if the rain is enough to soak a road, watch out. The lake bottom silts turn to snot, and you will slide off a road in a heartbeat. Flash flooding is not impossible. I take extra supplies with me now, and told my wife if the rain gets serious, I’m not moving until it’s safe. I tried twice to keep going when I should have not, and frankly it was stupid. Scared myself silly, and just got real lucky. Not worth it.

The snot will plaster the bottom of your rig with a thick layer that will set up with asphalt like consistency when it dries, and will take an hour of close high pressure washing to remove. Vehicle gets a lot heavier!

I try hard to avoid those conditions now, but the weather forecasting is worthless, as the hills make their own weather. What we are talking about often is massive thunderstorm activity. Stuff pops up out of nowhere in an hour. Believe nothing and be ready for anything.

Yes, 

The Rye Patch slippery snot got me several years ago and I started going sideways down a hill by the north end of the reservoir. Very dangerous and I spent an hour at the car wash in Winnemucca before heading home.😂

Bill

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

Rain and hail today again here. Not sure how bad Rye Patch area is getting hit, but some places are going to be wet for a while around the whole area. I retreated to the RV.

T-minus a few days before the grass starts growing like crazy and making stuff hard to detect in places.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The lake bottom silts turn to snot, and you will slide off a road in a heartbeat.

Good advice...

If you have driven on ice you will immediately know driving on this stuff is definitely taking a chance.

The illusion of control unexpectedly disappears in a heartbeat.

8 hours ago, Condor said:

The sun is out, need a stiff breeze to dry things out.  The ground around Sawtooth soaked down 2 to 3 inches.  The back roads are pretty slimey.

I was there once when it was like that and another time when it hit the ground and it was snow.  You are in Ray Mills land now!

On 5/15/2021 at 9:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

When I am out there, if the rain is enough to soak a road, watch out. The lake bottom silts turn to snot, and you will slide off a road in a heartbeat. Flash flooding is not impossible. I take extra supplies with me now, and told my wife if the rain gets serious, I’m not moving until it’s safe. I tried twice to keep going when I should have not, and frankly it was stupid. Scared myself silly, and just got real lucky. Not worth it.

The snot will plaster the bottom of your rig with a thick layer that will set up with asphalt like consistency when it dries, and will take an hour of close high pressure washing to remove. Vehicle gets a lot heavier!

I try hard to avoid those conditions now, but the weather forecasting is worthless, as the hills make their own weather. What we are talking about often is massive thunderstorm activity. Stuff pops up out of nowhere in an hour. Believe nothing and be ready for anything.

The last time I tried driving through that all my armor plates underneath my truck had to be removed for cleaning, when I dropped them it looked like someone tried to cook brownies in them and it was packed up to the transmission, oil pan and rhe other parts and left imprints of them in the hardened silt. My transmission started to get hot, and the radiator was clogged closed with silt. Admittedly, I drove rather fast to get through the silt and that’s what did it all in. Never again.

A8EE4497-BFF4-454E-BF6F-119EA84E24BE.thumb.jpeg.b272eda0812cea3c950386b08e8cf056.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 3