Welcome to the forum!

I've only been here a while - a little less than the time I've been metal detecting, but I can tell you that if you have the money the Equinox is a great choice. I first bought a Garrett ACE 400 because I went from online reviews, which are slanted at the very least. It's a great machine, I found lots of stuff with it, but "outgrew" it quickly in favor of a waterproof machine. I have many different places I can detect.

My choice then became the difference between the Nokta Simplex+ and the Equinox, as both are waterproof. The dealer told me I'd never regret buying the Equinox 600. He was right. I have since used a Simplex and while it is very good the Equinox is much easier to set up and operate, and is definitely worth the extra $$. 

I mostly prefer relic hunting but my first trip(s) to a beach netted me 51 coins, a gold ring, a stainless ring and a Tungsten band that I now wear as Trigger Finger relief. 😀

So I'll pass that advice on to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captorofsin said:

I did some more research last night. I found  fisher that has multi frequency (like minelab multi iq). I cannot find that detector this am. Does anyone know about that?

that would be the fisher cz 21  2 frequencies 5 & 15 built like a tank ...heavy ...waterproof to 200 feet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captorofsin said:

I did some more research last night. I found  fisher that has multi frequency (like minelab multi iq). I cannot find that detector this am. Does anyone know about that?

1 hour ago, wltdwiz said:

that would be the fisher cz 21  2 frequencies 5 & 15 built like a tank ...heavy ...waterproof to 200 feet

The entire CZ line operates at those 2 frequencies simultaneously.  The first CZ arrived in early 1990's and besides the underwater CZ21 that wltdwiz mentions there is also a land-based CZ3D still in production.  They aren't cheap, especially the CZ21.

If you haven't done so, get acquainted with Steve's database which has almost all detectors currently available in the USA and many discontinued models as well.  There you can find links to the manufacturers' webpages and other useful links about each detector.

Is this comparable to the box 600?

From what I've heard, it's nowhere near as good as the Equinox, but it's not a fair comparison as the Apex is designed to be a middle-of-the-road machine while the Equinox is considered high-end. The difference b/w the 2 machines is most clear where there's trash and iron (from what I've read and heard). But at the beach, the Apex holds its own.

I honestly wouldn't get the Apex given its price. I'd either save the money and get something cheaper, but 95% as capable or spend an extra $100 or so and get something far more capable.

That's just me, though.

• Like 1

Apex vs nox 600 at the beach.

The only thing that doesn't make any sense to me is about most of these beach detectors (including the apex) is that the entire machine is NOT weatherproof/waterproof.

It seems like a beach a detector would be at least weatherproof. Considering the salt air and considering that salt air is very bad for electronics.

It seems like a beach a detector would be at least weatherproof. Considering the salt air and considering that salt air is very bad for electronics.

In a perfect world, sure. But there are probably economic reasons as to why machines that work well on a beach aren't at least weatherproof.

I'm sure Minelab considered making a waterproof or weatherproof version of the Vanquish, but choose not to. Perhaps it would add $50 to the price of the machine, but they could only raise the price by $35? Or maybe it would sell like hotcakes, but cannibalize Equinox 600 sales?