22 hours ago, Captorofsin said:

Again, I will be mostly hunting Florida beaches (saltwater and fresh water) and parks. 

In an "nutshell", go with the nox 600, right?

The original poster has basically made his decision right there. I agree with his judgement and his decision.

Obviously some of you do not for whatever reasons............ which from my reading of your posts, do not apply to his chosen sites for detecting.

I'm done here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh my! 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Both the Equinox 600 and 800 setup with the optimum settings for the conditions, will easily hit targets in the .05 gram size and even smaller out to 3 inches in air tests and 2 inches in mineralized ground with their gain on 2/3 rds or less strength. So will the Gold Monster 1000, Deus, Orx, Gold Racer, Gold Kruzer, Gold Bug II, Gold Master 24K and many other higher frequency VLF gold prospecting specific detectors. The Apex I recently tested (for the second time) could not do that. Neither can the Vanquish models, the Simplex or most other detectors operating at less than 19 kHz. With those same targets basically touching their coils at full sensitivity, yes they could detect them. In the ground......Nope. That is just not what they were made for. So micro jewelry and very small gold prospecting are best done with detectors that are easily capable of that function.

captorofsin said in his initial post  "... I will be searching mostly beach, homesites, and parks. Jewelry and coins. I really am NOT concerned with prospecting or relics.... " . 

Does he need a max sensitivity on 0.05g grams targets ?  Certainly not for coin hunting ... Jewellery ? I dont know ...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, palzynski said:

captorofsin said in his initial post  "... I will be searching mostly beach, homesites, and parks. Jewelry and coins. I really am NOT concerned with prospecting or relics.... " . 

Does he need a max sensitivity on 0.05g grams targets ?  Certainly not for coin hunting ... Jewellery ? I dont know ...

Good question which I will try to answer and then I really am done. 

One of the outstanding features of the Equinox series (very similar situation with the XP Deus/ORX to name two other detectors) is its ability to detect targets in high mineralization (including salt beaches), heavily masked targets, targets on edge and very deep targets which are only exposing a small amount of their surface area to the coil. This is because of the Equinox very fast (not the fastest) recovery speed/target separation and the Multi IQ technology. One potential downside to this extreme sensitivity ability for those that like a quieter, less cluttered detecting experience (which includes me too, sometimes) is that the Equinox will also detect a lot more targets than most detectors and can be noisy. 

• Thanks 1

On a beach then the 600 might be the better choice as the little larger coil can get a better depth and the 600 is fully submersable (with wired headphones).

As for finding small gold on the beach, all vlf's have trouble as the smaller the gold is the closer it approaches the conductivity of salt. With that being said a high frequency machine is less important than a low frequency. Beach hunting I use 14khz or lower for stability and with that I lose tiny gold signals as far as I know but gain better signals on larger, deeper targets and of course higher conductors. I do want to note that people should expect to be making double scoops in the wet sand to retrieve a silver dime in the salt with any vlf. VLFs in the salt offer discrimination over depth when compared to a dedicated beach (pi) machine.

I often see people snagging machines that can be submersed but not everyone realizes you need to buy wired (prefereably waterproof) headphones if the control boxes are dunked. Many new guys don't realize this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kac said:

On a beach then the 600 might be the better choice as the little larger coil can get a better depth and the 600 is fully submersable (with wired headphones).

As for finding small gold on the beach, all vlf's have trouble as the smaller the gold is the closer it approaches the conductivity of salt.

Both statements apply to single frequency VLFs.

They do not exactly apply to high gain Mulit IQ, simultaneous multi frequency VLFs like the Equinox. That is the whole point in my supporting the original posters choice of detectors. The 600 and 800 or even a Vanquish with a 12" or 10" coil is a better choice than any other single frequency VLF for daily saltwater beach work.  The Apex probably is too even though I know from using both an Explorer and an Equinox on Southeastern USA saltwater beaches that Multi IQ works better, period. Different simultaneous multi frequency technologies are not equal.  For the Equinox and Vanquish, Multi IQ provides multiple frequencies and ground balance points so that small gold jewelry will more than likely be detected. Multi IQ can also provide more depth than coil dimensions on coin sized  beach targets depending on how wet and mineralized the sand is along with excellent non-ferrous target IDs at any detectable depth. For beaches with large amounts of iron or volcanic sand..........the Equinox will struggle just like any VLF.

• Like 5

To run stable a vlf needs to have the ground balance range to suite the salt in order to work in the salt. Most land machines will fail without that range. I would assume that a simultaneous multi frequency would have the same issue and why they have a beach mode on them just as the Kruzer, Amphibio, MX Sport, Orx etc do. Without good ground balance control and that range suited for salt the machine will just false like crazy as it aproaches the wet.

For the machine choices in this topic the Nox 600 is a safe choice followed by the apex or even one of the Kruzers. The Kruzers have a difficult audio and are tricky to tame in tough conditions so I would say Apex would be easier in that sense.

I do pretty well in the salt with my Multi Kruzer but if I was new in the game and didn't know what was going on I would be frustrated with the machine.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

First of all, welcome to the forum Cap!! You found a great place to seek detector advice, as clearly shows in all the previous posts!! Did you ever post in the Meet and Greet section?? What part of Florida are you in??

I don't know how I missed this post, but boy, it was highly educational, an entertaining!!👏👏👏

If parts of this post could be put into music, I would say it was the "dueling banjos" theme from "Delerverence"!!🤣😂

I'm done here!😜

Cap!!, what detector did you end up buying???

Now I'm really done here!!👍👍🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joe D. said:

First of all, welcome to the forum Cap!! You found a great place to seek detector advice, as clearly shows in all the previous posts!! Did you ever post in the Meet and Greet section?? What part of Florida are you in??

I don't know how I missed this post, but boy, it was highly educational, an entertaining!!👏👏👏

If this post could be put into music, I would say it was the "dueling banjos" theme from "Delerverence"!!🤣😂

I'm done here!😜

Wow.  Not this old thread.  Got a little contentious there at the end.  Capt never came back to the site after May 17, so resurrecting this thread 3 mos later may or may not result in a response, but I am curious too what he ended up picking.

Since you resurrected this, Joe, I wanted to address a technical point that KAC made, quoted below (better late than never, I guess):

On 5/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, kac said:

To run stable a vlf needs to have the ground balance range to suite the salt in order to work in the salt. Most land machines will fail without that range. I would assume that a simultaneous multi frequency would have the same issue and why they have a beach mode on them just as the Kruzer, Amphibio, MX Sport, Orx etc do. Without good ground balance control and that range suited for salt the machine will just false like crazy as it aproaches the wet.

Regarding simultaneous multi frequency and salt balance - the advantage that simultaneous MF brings is that it can more easily identify the salt response of the "ground" by seeing how it responds to the different frequencies and that combined with adjusting transmit power (in the case of Equinox, at least) in the beach modes is what primarily drives stability in salt combined with ground detection tracking (when salt and black sand levels are constantly varying, such as in surf conitions) are what the SMF "beach modes" or "salt modes" bring to the table.  From what I can tell, the APEX and even the Vanquish are not quite as sophisticated as Equinox in this regard, but still seem to provide superior salt performance vs. single frequency and selectable single frequency machines.  With the exception of perhaps the Tarsacci's separate, sophisticated "salt balance" control (which rivals SMF salt stability), most single frequency or selectable single frequency VLF detectors simply extend the GB range of adjustment to account for salt.  This improves the situation but really can't come close to the stability and performance of SMF or the Tarsacci, which are in a different league.  HTH.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe D. said:

If this post could be put into music, I would say it was the "dueling banjos" theme from "Delerverence"!!🤣😂

I'm done here!😜

I have not bought yet. I have some financial engagements that take priority right now.

I had to out this on the "back burner" for right now. I will probably wind up with a NOX. probably will not be until next spring.

Does anyone know anything about Garret Multi flex? I might have addressed this earlier. Been a minute....

• Like 1