If it means anything my hunting is mostly done in the 10-20khz range depending on the machine I use. That range is the most versitile for majority of coin and jewelry targets so the Nox 600 is a safe bet for the money.

Of course if it is in your budget the 800 has a few more features and wider frequency range but that doesn't mean it will necessarily blow the 600 out of the water in general hunting.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Chase,

We were just trying to answer a simple question for Cap!! Not contest the "secret sauce" ML is actually using!! Don't really care what the mix is, as we can't control it anyway! As long as it works! But feel free to add to his question!!😁👍👍

I hear you. I didn’t want to turn it into a debate either.  Nor do I think it is all that important what is actually in the Multi IQ secret sauce either.  Just simply trying to separate fact from fiction because it can cause confusion.  Some info that was presented as fact above is contradicted by what ML has posted regarding Multi IQ and those selectable single frequencies.  To be fair, ML confused everyone with their rainbow frequency marketing diagrams and have had to amend and footnote them more than once for this reason.

Fact: 600 Selectable single frequencies are 4,5,10, and 15 kHz, 800 selectable frequencies are 4,5,10,15,20, and 40 kHz.

Fact:  Multi IQ is identical on the 600 and 800 and likely spans the range beyond the low and high end single frequency settings.

Fact:  Contrary to what was posted above, ML unequivocally states the original selectable single frequencies (i.e., 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 kHz) are not linked to the frequencies used to create the Multi IQ waveforms.   Probably neither here nor there, but hey just trying to keep it factual.  :smile:

Simple as that.

For the Cap:  All you need to know is that from a Multi IQ perspective and ultimate performance perspective, the 600 and 800 both got you covered.  In some cases it might be useful to be able to select the higher single frequencies or the extra modes and adjustments of the 800, but if you want to save a few $, the 600 will serve you well for probably greater than 95-99% of the situations you will likely encounter.  At the end of the day, if you want that extra few percentage points edge in versatility and can afford it, get the 800.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The range in Multi IQ (depending on mode) may actually exceed 40 khz on the high end as the FCC certification for the Equinox goes as high as 100 khz if I recall correctly.

I think you are right that the patent includes frequencies up to 100 kHz.  However, some people have measured (and reported here) what frequencies the Equinox 800 transmits in simultaneous multifrequency modes.  The highest frequency I remember anyone measuring was right around (actually a bit under) 40 kHz.

Minelab could make some of our lives a bit easier but it's understandable they don't want to reveal proprietary information.  Besides, for practical purposes "the proof is in the pudding."

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think you are right that the patent includes frequencies up to 100 kHz.  However, some people have measured (and reported here) what frequencies the Equinox 800 transmits in simultaneous multifrequency modes.  The highest frequency I remember anyone measuring was right around (actually a bit under) 40 kHz.

Minelab could make some of our lives a bit easier but it's understandable they don't want to reveal proprietary information.  Besides, for practical purposes "the proof is in the pudding."

FWIW, I was referring to the Radio Frequency Specification table included in the ML safety instructions booklet included with each detector (pic attached).  Note the detector [RF transmission/emission] frequency range and power spec for the Multi-IQ machines is specified as 5 to 143 khz at -30 dBm (decibel milliwatts - very low power emission) (note also the Bluetooth and Wi Stream RF radio specs are also provided as well as the FBS/BBS machine spectrums which is interestingly specified as 1.3 to 143 khz -whether these machines are transmitting across this entire range is anyone's guess, again FWIW).

1107495841_SmartSelect_20210907-223630_KeepNotes.jpg.463945ed4112031ff72b198acedf1b58.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure if you have the $$ at this time but Backwoods Metal detectors in TN has a used Nox 600 with warranty until july 2024

https://backwoodsmetaldetectors.com/collections/used-metal-detectors/products/pristine-minelab-equinox-600

Rich Robinson there is a good person to deal with.

• Like 1