Gold Eluded Me This Past Week But Had Fun With The AQ

2 hours ago, tvr said:

Nice week of beach vacation swinging the AQ. Saw one other person detecting. He had an older Garret Ace and was using a garden hoe to dig. When I walked towards him to say hello, he pulled a mask over his face and turned away, so I turned and went on my own way.

Had one resort where I got interference when detecting in front of it. Found one frequency setting that was a little better. Turned sensitivity down to 3 and could hunt the wet sand. Delay and ATS settings did not appear to make any difference. On our last day of the vacation there was a nice cut in the water that ran half a block long and part was in front of this resort. At low tide the cut ran from knee deep to belly deep. It was protected by a sand bar that cut the waves coming into the cut to about 6 inches. I was surprised when I got in the water that the interference actually got worse. Tone, mute, volcanic were all noisy, all metal was best and if I had my back to the building, standing between the detector and the building, it got quieter. Dropping sensitivity to 2 quieted things pretty well. While increased delay did not seem to help over the wet sand, it did in the water. The little bit of wave wash did not make a sound at these settings. Settings were Sensitivity 2, ATS 6, Delay 11, volume 7, threshold 4. I found the sterling hoop earring in this cut, bent it digging it up. Also found a blob that I dug a small trench to get it out. Almost gave up on it, flipped to mute turned ATS to 8.5 with reject on 6 and it did not go away so I went back to all metal and kept digging. Encrusted piece with some pretty gold color showing. It cleaned up nice after a few hours soaking in a salt and vinegar bath and is a sloth pendant that the loop broke off of; unfortunately, plated. The ring that was an 18 inch deep wet sand find where I was hunting with ATS around 4.5, sensitivity at 4 and delay at 7.5 is also plated.

I still have not played with the 8 inch coil except in my yard. I need to get it in the water soon.

GlintOfColor.jpg

Nut.JPG

Jewelry.JPG

SlothNRing.JPG

That's a tough hunt--looks like some of my sites here--just no definition / marl access until well into the summer--with a lot of light stuff that's flipped in during winter storms.  

• Like 1

Must be a huge amount of EMI coming from that resort. Luckily, all metal worked for you. I'm kinda surprised that volcanic mode didn't work there. 🤔 Still some cool looking targets, especially that ring. Deep it was!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjc said:

That's a tough hunt--looks like some of my sites here--just no definition / marl access until well into the summer--with a lot of light stuff that's flipped in during winter storms.  

Yes. Much of the sand was way too soft. We get back to this beach area a couple times a year. The day before we left, the city trucks were delivering stacks of beach chairs for the upcoming summer crowds. Hopefully there will be more dropped goodies and not too many people detecting before our next visit as well as some deeper cuts in the water.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Must be a huge amount of EMI coming from that resort. Luckily, all metal worked for you. I'm kinda surprised that volcanic mode didn't work there. 🤔 Still some cool looking targets, especially that ring. Deep it was!

I was surprised the interference went up in the shallow water. I'm guessing it wasn't coil pick up as I would think the water would attenuate much of the stuff coming from a building. Not sure what was going on. As I got further away it got better and at the southern end of the cut (away from the offending building) I could take sensitivity back up to 4 and it ran quiet in the water. It was good to see it is still pretty deep with the sensitivity in the low numbers and I still had some adjustment room on the delay and ATS.

• Like 1

No doubt you got some good work out time. I have one spot here in the bay the AQ has a hard time with EMI but once submerged it smooths as silk. Thanks for sharing the settings, always interesting to see how others adjust for the conditions.

• Like 1

That's a lot of targets. Thanks for posting your settings TVR. I noticed the same, all metal runs a lot smoother. Also it seems to be more stable when completely submerged.

Good Luck on your next hunt.

HH

Mike

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tvr said:

Yes. Much of the sand was way too soft. We get back to this beach area a couple times a year. The day before we left, the city trucks were delivering stacks of beach chairs for the upcoming summer crowds. Hopefully there will be more dropped goodies and not too many people detecting before our next visit as well as some deeper cuts in the water.

Ya the sand texture tells all.  Having a deep pulse can help but gold wont sit in mush for long.  A huge breakthrough for me was when I learned to ignore a lot of the tantalizing contours that look like they should be low ground but aren't.  Best advice I can give is to use any grade markers you can find to look for the lowest ground on the entire beach--to read the overall grade.   If there's no heavy targets there--well you've learnt something lol...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

once submerged it smooths as silk

4 hours ago, Mikeguard01 said:

Also it seems to be more stable when completely submerged.

Unfortunately, the cut wasn't deep enough to get the detector fully under the surface for most of it. As you both have posted, it runs quiet and smooth in the bay and tributaries, even with very hot settings.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been fooled by “low areas” that are part of a larger high area many times.......bit like looking for gold in the bottom of a mountain lake 😬

• Like 2