Ferrous And Non-ferrous With Adjustable Notch Filter

From-30 to 0 the ferrous filter (disc) works to block out all disc audio for target ID’s lower than the disc setting.  If you set it to -10, then you will get no low disc tones for anything -30 to - 10.  Set it to 0 and the entire -30 to 0 ferrous range is discriminated out.  If you set disc above zero, the you disc out the entire ferrous range and you set up a 5 TID non-ferrous notch centered around wherever you set notch point.  For example, setting disc at 25 discs out all ferrous -30 to 0 plus notches out non-ferrous  from 23 to 27.  Good for setting up discing out all ferrous and high TID ferrous wraparound by setting disc at 29 or 30 you notch out 27 to 30 or 28 to 30 ferrous falsing, respectively.  Good graphics illustration of how this works in the user manual.

You still hear the all metal whoop audio in mixed mode but only non-ferrous “tings” if you have disc at 0 and you also eliminate any “ting” tones from the 5 TID notch around any disc setting above 0.

HTH

• Like 3

Chase maybe you could give me a better suggestion than what I'm using.     I'm a Park, sport field hunter right now.    I'm using Threshold -1.        Disc.  -2.       Like some others, I guess I'm hunting for just a little below nickel value then up for non ferrous.       Any input appreciated.

Dancer

I also like the way Keith runs it in AM using -30 ... that keep iron from doing a lot of wrapping around into that +28 range.   I’ve often hunted that away in AM when I used to do park hunting with other machines like the Explorer.

5 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I also like the way Keith runs it in AM using -30 ... that keep iron from doing a lot of wrapping around into that +28 range.   I’ve often hunted that away in AM when I used to do park hunting with other machines like the Explorer.

Dew - the manual does not say it notches to +28 if set to -30.  Manual says the notch only happens if you set disc > 0. Also if you are working solely in AM the disc setting is immaterial.  Can you explain this further please what you think Keith is doing?

15 hours ago, Dancer said:

Chase maybe you could give me a better suggestion than what I'm using.     I'm a Park, sport field hunter right now.    I'm using Threshold -1.        Disc.  -2.       Like some others, I guess I'm hunting for just a little below nickel value then up for non ferrous.       Any input appreciated.

Dancer

Sorry, I never Park or sport field hunt with the Tarsacci.  Only pull it out to relic hunt in hot dirt or to occasionally beach hunt. The tones are too limiting and target ID is a little jumpy, plus those sites typically have low mineralization which means the Tarsacci provides no advantage over my Equinox or Deus which set up up better tone wise for coin or jewelry hunting in parks or athletic fields, especially in the presence of non-ferrous junk targets (e g., aluminum).  When I hunt with the Tarsacci, I am basically relying on its ability to reliably ID a non-ferrous relic target at depth in hot soil.  In other words, I am basically using it as a two-tone ferrous/non-ferrous beep-dig machine.

That being said, I found the following target ID reference table in a document that  consolidated Tarsacci information posted to various forums (I have not personally verified these TIDs):

18KHz 12KHz 9KHz 6.4KHz Good Target
5-6 5-6 4-5 4 small, lady's gold wedding band
6 6 6-7 5-7 US buffalo nickel
9 7 7-8 6 large man's 14K gold ring
14-15 11-12 13 11-12 US Indian head penny, late date
15 13-14 14-15 14 US half dime
17 16-17 17 16 US wheat penny
18 17 17 17 US mercury dime
25 24 22 22 US silver quarter
26 26 25 23-24 US silver half dollar
26 27 27 25 US silver dollar

Air tested some common trash items in 12 KHz only and got these ID numbers:
12KHz Trash Target
6 pulltab ring, no beavertail; also rolled beavertail
9-10 Yoohoo drink lid
10 square tab
10-11 old pull ring
12-13 Pepsi twist cap, smashed some; smashed aluminum twist lid
13 cola top, smashed
18-20 steel bottle cap, slightly rusty
19-20 steel bottle cap
23-26 steel bottle cap, very rusty
========================================

From the above you can infer where you might want to set a non-ferrous "notch" point.  But frankly I would just keep disc at 0 if you didn't want to dig ferrous and simply fight your way through the non-ferrous junk...or use a different detector that has more expressive audio nuances that help you to pick through non-ferrous junk.  Like I said, for me that is either the Deus (using full tones) or Equinox (using the 10x5 Coiltek Nox coil).

• Like 2