Good morning!

Hoping for a little help with this rock.  I found it with my Excal in the Boise river(South West Idaho).  It was a faint dull sound with the Excal so I picked it up and tossed it in the bag hoping for some gold after I rinsed the sand off later.  No signs of gold, but it is quite odd.  Got the Equinox out at home and it reads -6 to -8 but faint.  Maybe a meteorite of sorts?  It was in an area of the river that has a fairly strong constant flow.  Approximately 58g and 6cm x 3.5 cm x 2cm height.

Appreciate any help!

IMG-3157.jpg

IMG-3156.jpg

IMG-3155.jpg

12 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Looks like a waterworn piece of vesicular basalt, not a meteorite.

That makes sense with the iron content.  Thank you for the help!

• Like 1

I agree with Steve's answers.

Some basalt will respond on the Equinox in the "hot rock" -9 to -5 range.

Some concretions have plenty of natural iron in them.......some don't and may not give a response when detected.

• Like 1

Concretion, you can see the layering in the pic's and the grainy structure of sediment.  As Jeff said sometimes they can sound off depending on how much iron is concentrated in them.

14 minutes ago, DDancer said:

Concretion, you can see the layering in the pic's and the grainy structure of sediment.  As Jeff said sometimes they can sound off depending on how much iron is concentrated in them.

So hit it with a hammer?

• Oh my! 1

Personally, I think concretions look just fine the way they are. There is rarely anything thing inside that is any better than the outside.

That goes for most of the rocks that show up in the Rock ID category on this forum. Why is hitting a nice looking rock with a hammer the first impulse?????

Very small gold scattered throughout a host rock that isn't solid quartz.......I will definitely be tempted, however.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Personally, I think concretions look just fine the way they are. There is rarely anything thing inside that is any better than the outside.

That goes for most of the rocks that show up in the Rock ID category on this forum. Why is hitting a nice looking rock with a hammer the first impulse?????

Very small gold scattered throughout a host rock that isn't solid quartz.......I will definitely be tempted, however.

Because to me it is just a rock.  If it were a ring, a silver coin or a petrified alien, I would be much more excited about it.  To me, it might as well be a beanie baby.  If it has value to someone else, I would sell it, if not the dog can play with it.

• Thanks 1