AQ 8 Inch Coil Working As It Should

I've been using the 8 inch coil exclusively in the salt water for about 18 hours now. It is definitely quieter than the 12.5 inch. I am running with a delay around 8 or 8.5 and today 9 because of some bigger swells coming in right up against the shore. Played around with some higher delay settings and things quiet down even more. If walking parallel to shore in the water, there is still some "noise" when sweeping from the shallows to deeper water as can be expected. Coming back from deeper to shallow...all is quiet.  Coil sweep speed and height control still play a key part in keeping the threshold smooth. It seems more sensitive to smaller objects and some iron will still give a double blip in all metal. Sensitivity was set at 6 and ATS around 5.

I'm wondering... Say you run the big coil with a delay around 11 and the small coil with a delay around 8... which one would have better punching power on ring size objects?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bob.  Some of that noise if you are hunting our local area is bit of iron stone.  Gets caught up in the mass amount of seaweed we sometimes get ... and having high bank shore lines don’t help.  A good many machines will false running across the grain.  As far as the Us....keep in mind a majority of PI used in the salt water have a setting 15 Us and above.  So you have some room to play.  Good to see you are back out there with the machine.   

• Like 1

Hey Dew! Thanks for responding. It is good to get out again after some long setbacks.  I see things are still sanded in pretty good too. Took the AQ out today and used the 12.5 inch in the water. Big difference in usable delay between the 2 coils. Will probably go right back to the 8. Hope to see you out there.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:36 PM, okara gold said:

I've been using the 8 inch coil exclusively in the salt water for about 18 hours now. It is definitely quieter than the 12.5 inch. I am running with a delay around 8 or 8.5 and today 9 because of some bigger swells coming in right up against the shore. Played around with some higher delay settings and things quiet down even more. If walking parallel to shore in the water, there is still some "noise" when sweeping from the shallows to deeper water as can be expected. Coming back from deeper to shallow...all is quiet.  Coil sweep speed and height control still play a key part in keeping the threshold smooth. It seems more sensitive to smaller objects and some iron will still give a double blip in all metal. Sensitivity was set at 6 and ATS around 5.

I'm wondering... Say you run the big coil with a delay around 11 and the small coil with a delay around 8... which one would have better punching power on ring size objects?

Can you explain what you mean by "height control" more? 

Also does sweep speed mean, slow?

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Can you explain what you mean by "height control" more? 

Also does sweep speed mean, slow?

Height control is trying to keep the coil the same distance between it and the ground. If you swing with a tendency to lift and lower the coil even a little... then you will have false signals and or an increase / decrease of the threshold pitch. 
Same with the sweep speed. Try to keep it consistent and a little slower than you would with a VLF. 
In the water this is more difficult to do but the more time spent the better you get. 

• Like 5

On 5/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, okara gold said:

My opinion, The little 8 holds up very well on depth against the bigger 12.7 on all gold targets. But I still feel the Big coil is the best opp if you can keep the noise down on gold rings. One thing I have noticed about the AQ, No matter the (below) settings in All Metal, depth lose is very minimal. 

Running high to low sensitivity (4 to 9) and the ATS from 0 to 8... then the Delay 7 to 11. Water here is Brackish and not as bad as the Ocean salt, then rushing waters......... so I do feel I have a advantage to more opinions on settings with the bigger coil.. one reason I may sell the little coil n shaft.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Water here is Brackish and not as bad as the Ocean salt, then rushing waters......... so I do feel I have a advantage to more opinions on settings with the bigger coil..

I’ve used the big coil in 2 different brackish water locations in Florida and comfortably run the delay 7.5 to 8. Very minimal falsing. Should be a killer in fresh water. I did play around and lower the sensitivity a little today. Worked fine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, okara gold said:

Height control is trying to keep the coil the same distance between it and the ground. If you swing with a tendency to lift and lower the coil even a little... then you will have false signals and or an increase / decrease of the threshold pitch. 
Same with the sweep speed. Try to keep it consistent and a little slower than you would with a VLF. 
In the water this is more difficult to do but the more time spent the better you get. 

If the coil is on the ground, why would one have to worry about the height of the coil? 

5 hours ago, midalake said:

If the coil is on the ground, why would one have to worry about the height of the coil? 

If the coil is "on" the ground how would you move it side to side? It has to be elevated somewhat in order to move it side to side unless you scrub the coil against the ground without ever lifting it. By keeping a constant distance between the bottom of the coil and the ground you achieve optimum results.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, okara gold said:

If the coil is "on" the ground how would you move it side to side? It has to be elevated somewhat in order to move it side to side unless you scrub the coil against the ground without ever lifting it. By keeping a constant distance between the bottom of the coil and the ground you achieve optimum results.

That is strange? Every detector I have owned, have been able to swing along the ground [sand] without any distance between the coil and sand. In fact, have that little skim coat of water on the wet sand and the coil moves LIKE MAGIC! 

But we all know why the AQ needs "height control".  Don't we! 

• Like 1