Great Time To Sell A Gold Detector?

Sold our gold bug 2 in one day on craigslist yesterday....got 3/4 what we paid originally. Was going to sell the Zed...could have sold it as well on the first day but then I chickened out...there are hardly any new or used detectors available right now on the internet...out of stock is what I'm seeing. even the small coil for the nox is hard to come by. Am I missing something here? 

Strick 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My guess is covid has slowed manufacturing and shipping down.😕

• Like 1

Micro chips and some other board level components are still really hard to come by for appliances and smaller electronic devices including metal detectors and coils. 

• Like 5

The World is in a mess, factories having to be closed on and off with various Covid restrictions, freight problems with shipping with a shortage of capacity, the cargo that used to be put onto passenger flights now needs to largely find some other method of transit with far fewer flights meaning very slow shipping in container ships, this has even lead to shipping container shortages.

Then, there is the microchip shortage to top it off.  This story explains it well.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/19/chips-with-everything-how-one-taiwanese-company-drives-the-world-economy

I think it's going to get worse yet!   This is just the start of it.

• Like 8

It's even worse in NZ as without all the incoming flights from various countries full of tourists most cargo is coming in with ships, but our ports could not handle the extra capacity for all of the extra ships coming in so there is a queue of ships sometimes in a holding pattern for weeks docked offshore to get into port to unload which has caused shortages on things, especially new vehicles out of Asia.  This problem was compounded by people not having their regular overseas holidays due to restrictions so having money to burn and wanting to buy new Cars and Caravans to holiday locally, but as they're all manufactured overseas they needed imported on ships!

Fortunately we are right next door to Australia so ships can unload some stuff there and as passenger flights are constantly traveling between the two countries with both countries accepting tourists from each other so cargo can come in on those planes.

It appears the World was very unprepared for a pandemic 🙂  The next thing will be dealing with will be price inflation.  The second hand detector market may shift with more price rises soon.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The next thing will be dealing with will price inflation.  The second hand detector market may shift with more price rises soon.

Price inflation is a very real thing and is taking hold very quickly on things second hand and brand new on this side of the pond. The secondhand car market has gone gangbusters on pricing and trying to get a house for a reasonable price is the same.

• Like 3

Could be the increase domestic RV demand caused by Covid is flowing over into our hobby. Inflation has been way off topic since last century, the crazy 80s are only a memory for us oldies, maybe not just the pandemic but Chinas economic growth is shifting the worlds balance. For us this all should see the gold price zoom, especially if cryptocurrencies fall out of favor.

• Like 5

My wife keeps up on world news better then I do... told me about this the other day https://www.wsj.com/articles/renesas-chip-plant-fire-spreads-concerns-about-global-auto-production-11616414181

I do a lot of driving for my job and I drove by a couple toyota car dealerships the other day and there is no inventory to speak of..there were some used cars but the new car's are drying up...

Went to Costco for a food run the other day. 4 t bone steaks were around $ 49 couple months ago now your looking at $69 and over for the same steaks...were going with chicken...time to fill the freezers up fellas....and I'm keeping what detectors I got left until things get better...

strick

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, strick said:

My wife keeps up on world news better then I do... told me about this the other day https://www.wsj.com/articles/renesas-chip-plant-fire-spreads-concerns-about-global-auto-production-11616414181

I do a lot of driving for my job and I drove by a couple toyota car dealerships the other day and there is no inventory to speak of..there were some used cars but the new car's are drying up...

Went to Costco for a food run the other day. 4 t bone steaks were around $ 49 couple months ago now your looking at $69 and over for the same steaks...were going with chicken...time to fill the freezers up fellas....and I'm keeping what detectors I got left until things get better...

strick

Luckily my local butcher sources local meat so I can’t see a problem there.

• Like 1