Great Time To Sell A Gold Detector?

5 minutes ago, Sheppo said:

Luckily my local butcher sources local meat so I can’t see a problem there.

Same here and it tastes so much better. Mmmmm

• Like 2

Last time I checked Ebay (last weekend) there was a dearth of both used coils and used detectors (well, ones worth buying).  That may be seasonal, however.  Best time to buy is late summer / early autumn when weekenders are needing cash to buy winter toys.

Word is that camping spots and hotel rooms are expected to be full this summer here in the USA.  A year plus of people staying home and saving their money is affecting things in a big way.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, strick said:

there are hardly any new or used detectors available right now on the internet.

G'day Strick.. In my local area (Townsville, NQ) there's a load of GPXs (4500 and 5000) for sale on facebook marketplace.. Sure it's got nothing to do with global supply restrictions but rather the introduction of the new kid on the block (GPX 6000).. 

• Like 4

There have been several metal detectors for sale on the local CL, but none have been bargains and haven't sold very quickly.  Ebay seems to be the place where quality detectors go fast.  I was even thinking of selling mine and upgrading to a new unit but so far I haven't seen anything that interests me.  

It took me a couple weeks to sell my Z earlier this month. It had expired warranty but I was surprised I didn't at least get some lowball offers, as it was a good workhorse of a detector and the only used one I saw for sale anywhere, including ebay.  It finally sold on Craigslist for $4000

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WesD said:

It took me a couple weeks to sell my Z earlier this month. It had expired warranty but I was surprised I didn't at least get some lowball offers, as it was a good workhorse of a detector and the only used one I saw for sale anywhere, including ebay.  It finally sold on Craigslist for $4000

Geez there are GPX 5000's in OZ with a few coils selling for more than that.

• Like 1

These second-hand detectors are for sale in a 500km radius from Townsville, North Queensland.. including a GPZ for $6900..

Screenshot 2021-05-21 11.35.30 AM.png

• Like 2

Wow thats a lot of used 'labs for sale there in Oz-land. Here in California the used market is dry!

This forums classifieds has nothing at the moment. Kinda weird, you would think more people would be off-loading in anticipation of the 6000?

• Like 2

I wonder if the total customer base for high end gold detectors in the US is any greater than ~150 people these days? Things seem quieter now. Forums used to have a ton of 4500's and 5000's for sale as people started and then gave up detecting. After the GPZ came out the used market seemed to slow down here, or maybe it's my imagination?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

These second-hand detectors are for sale in a 500km radius from Townsville, North Queensland.. including a GPZ for $6900..

Screenshot 2021-05-21 11.35.30 AM.png

I’d be wary of a few of those for sale on the list, there’s one bloke in there that carries on like a used detector dealership, which he isn’t.  But yes, the secondhand market here has a healthy supply of detectors all demanding good prices.

• Like 3