Great Time To Sell A Gold Detector?

To me it seems like the prices of the legacy GPX series... particularly the 4500 and 5000 have actually gone up a bit in Australia lately, Most people selling a GPX 5000 are putting them around the $5000 mark with a few coils, the new price of one in Australia is $5000, and they appear to be selling.  They're reliable workhorses though, people buy them with confidence they're not going to be breaking down constantly even though they're out of warranty.    I am a bit surprised prices are creeping up not down with the release of the 6000 though.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it seems.

• Like 4

I too figured the market would be saturated with higher end used gold detectors in anticipation of the new GPX-6000.

I know one thing for sure.  I'm not about to hold many used GPZ-7000's at once as I still feel the GPX-6000 actually coming out and into customers hands, will then start off a sequence of people trying to sell their old units.  3 months ago, I had more customers wanting to trade for the 6000, but now since the drag out of the release, many customers are now holding on, so that actually have something to use.  Heck, who knows when we'll actually start getting the new GPX 6000.

Glad you were able to get a good price on your GB-2.  It is still a very desired old school VLF and I accept them in trade quite often.

When the GPZ-7000 came out, the GPX series on used detectors took a big hit.  

• Like 4

I've got an SDC for sale now and not much interest, at least at my price?  Had 1 serious inquiry last night and 2 scammers awhile back is all....   had the machine all cleaned up and ready to send off but with no interest so far I've put the sdc back in service and she'll probably be out again today......

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Glad you were able to get a good price on your GB-2.  It is still a very desired old school VLF and I accept them in trade quite often.

Although it was the first gold detector I bought her she soon gave it up once she got used to the 2300. So it is first on the chopping block. 

The previous posters bring up good points. Australia has more gold and less people so it makes sense that there are many more used detectors for sale over there...people over here buy a detector then use it a few times and throw it in their closet.  The guy that bought the GB2 wanted to see if it detected gold so he dropped his 10 gram gold pinky ring on the ground waved the detector over it twice just to see if it worked...no problem there lol I kinda felt bad...like I was taking candy from a baby......you ever feel like that Gerry?  but I did tell him to call me if he had any questions 😉 

strick 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Not a great time to be stuck with $14,000 worth of detectors when I get a 6000. Man, the used market for Minelab used to be gangbusters and dead on reliable... 

Meanwhile I just sold a dump trailer and car hauler used and well beaten up for more than I paid for them brand new 5 years ago, and had a line of people waiting to pay me that much.

Markets are all over the place these days. I think I am going to Ebay my 4500 and coils off while I can, lucky serial #0000007 as a premium collectors item. 😄

If we see big jump in gold over $3000 or something, I bet there will be a big demand for all those 4500's and 5000's.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This is a story about the particular area the GPX's are coming from.  It's really worth the watch, quite an interesting insight into the African gold rush. 

Truly remarkable, thanks for sharing. I wonder though whether they really would need a 6000 over there. It seems that for most the 5000 would do just fine, i.e. when combined with a bigger mono. There likely is very little EMI in the vast desert areas and not much mineralization, with fairly loose soil. I think Geosense would be overkill. Even the Monster should do assuming you have a good shovel to dig.

If you look at the settings they use as marked by their pen on the housing 😃

Fixed GB, Coil type - Double D, Ground type - Normal, Search mode - Custom

They seem to use the DD coils the most, they're the ones that come very worn with the detectors.  Perhaps with the desert being quite salty? I don't know.

I guess the 6000 will be the same, they'll want the DD coil in this particular area.  I think when a gold rush is on, everyone wants the new latest and greatest thinking it'll find them more gold.  The GPZ wasn't really known as a good salt detector I guess as it doesn't seem to be the detector of choice in the area.  Don't Minelab not include the DD for the African and Saudi Arabian market? 🙂 It's how the ball rolls!

14 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Perhaps with the desert being quite salty? I don't know.

Could very well be, I don't know either. The 14DD is not included in the Africa package. From that I conclude that they might not have the problems that we have here in AU/US. I suppose most over there are not as sophisticated and might not even understand all these differences, or they lack access to the vast coil armamentum due to price or supply issues. I think for most it is pure survival there with whatever they have. This is another reason why I am surprised that Africa is actually the biggest primary ML market (supposing also for the 6000)? Who can afford a 6k machine over there? That is likely 5-6 x their annual income. ML dealers there better have body guards. 

GPZ's are still selling good on eBay.  There is a used one on there right now up to $5300 with 2 days still left.  I haven't seen any 6k's on eBay yet though 🤣

• Like 1