Great story Dan, I've been there myself, more than once. My truck I use is packing mud around the threads. When it dries, it holds in there pretty good and it stops the nut from working further off the bolt. If it weathers off, I have more mud easily available, even if no mud is around. A little water and more can be made. This has worked well for a few years now. Nice gold, glad you are getting out and finding some. How is the Van conversion coming along?

• Like 1

Making the best of a bad situation turned a little golden for you.

I always carry a few zip ties with me when traveling as they can come in handy in so many ways.  

Your Macgyver gold nuggets are a treat and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Great story Dan, I've been there myself, more than once. My truck I use is packing mud around the threads. When it dries, it holds in there pretty good and it stops the nut from working further off the bolt. If it weathers off, I have more mud easily available, even if no mud is around. A little water and more can be made. This has worked well for a few years now. Nice gold, glad you are getting out and finding some. How is the Van conversion coming along?

Van conversion?   You must have me confused for someone else. lol 

I also figure I will just put some loctite 425 on the nut next time. 

A small piece I cut off of a bar of ivory soap, whittled down to a wedge, stopped the gas leak on my truck when the tank was punctured.  Fuel and oil wont dissolve soap, so it makes for a good emergency plug. Saved the day for some more fun out there!

• Like 3