Magnetic Rake Mod Advice Sought

I picked this up on Ebay for my updcoming trip west:

magnetic_rake.JPG

I like the lightweight, compact design.  The overall quality is quite good, with the aluminum parts appearing to be anodized.  Shown in the photo is the central magnet assembly removed from the hexagonal tube.  Here are a couple concerns I have:

1) Particularly when installed, the effect of the magnets seems weak.  I think the ad says 13 1/2 lb pickup force (however that is measured) but given the distance of the magnets from the outside of the hex extrusion when fully installed, it doesn't seem to have much strength.

2) The magnet frame assembly weighs almost half of the entire unit -- 408 g vs. 430 g for everything else.  That's not so bad, but for hiking and backpacking, every ounce saved helps.

3) The magnet assembly (when installed) rotates 360 degrees without any stop/lock to hold it in a desired position.  My guess is that bumping either end on a rock or vegetation (think of the black plastic ends as knobs) could cause it to rotate to an undesirable position.

The design is clever in that in order to clear the rake after filling with iron trash you just rotate the magnet assmbly until the fork tines push off the nails, wire, etc. -- a type of easy self-cleaning.  However, I might be willing to dispense with that feature to mod it for stronger pull.

So here's some advice I'm seeking:  Do I replace these alnico magnetics with neodymium ones?  If so, how many and how strong?  Should I stay with the magnets on the inside or just attach them outside, and if the latter, where?

I should have included a ruler for scale.  The width of the rake is 10.5 inches (267 mm) and the tines are 1 inch long and 7/8 inch separation.  Each hexagonal face is 3/4 inch across.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

However, I might be willing to dispense with that feature to mod it for stronger pull.

Hey GB, could you elaborate a little on the kind of site will you be requiring a magnetic rake for a stronger pull out West here?  Are you going to be raking blankets of iron?  You did mention hiking/backpacking, but a device like you bought is new to me...I’ve seen plenty of beach hunters and prospectors/meteorite hunters attach magnets on a beach scoop or a pick, but never heard of a magnetic rake. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Raphis said:

Hey GB, could you elaborate a little on the kind of site will you be requiring a magnetic rake for a stronger pull out West here?

Sure.  I'm planning on using it near old buildings, camps, etc. to clear surface iron (nails, wire, etc.) to short circuit the problem of masking.  (Buried iron will still be a problem, of course.)  In addition, it hopefully can be used for clearing minor surface layer to get a bit closer to deeper tiny gold bits after running the detector over the surface first.  For the latter I don't know how important the magnet is, but should help with small ferromagetic hot rocks, etc.  My first time trying this so I'll be learning as I go.

• Like 3

The magnets I use on my picks are rated in the hundreds of pounds of pull force. They can pull nails out of the ground as long as they aren't deeper than 1-2".

I think the 13lb force would be enough to stick on your fridge and that's about it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You need rare earth magnets at least 20 lb pull. They will be much smaller with less weight. With what you have there is too much weight. If you have to, glue them to the rake with JB weld to reduce weight.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

You need rare earth magnets 

Here's my setup....  not claiming it's the hot setup or anything but that magnet isn't going anywhere, very strong!

rake.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beatup said:

you really need to get rare earth magnets

Ordering today from Amazon.  They are so inexpensive that it amazes me they weren't included in an otherwise well thought-out and executed design.  I was concerned there was a good reason the installed magnets were weak which is my main reason for starting this thread in the first place.  But no one has defended that; just the opposite, in fact.

Thanks to all who responded.

• Like 1

No offense but that aluminum, weightless, blunt toothed, plastic reinforced handled rake you got might not hold up or work well for you out in the brush.  Might not make it thru the day even?  JMO and please let us know how it works out when you return from your trip?  Good luck out there......

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oneguy said:

...That aluminum, weightless, blunt toothed, plastic reinforced handled rake you got might not hold up or work well for you out in the brush.  Might not make it thru the day even?  JMO and please let us know how it works out when you return from your trip?

I'll give it a decent workout and let you know.  If it fails it won't be the first time I wasted $50+ on detecting gear....  :unsure: