This Is A Really Interesting Video (for Data Hounds Like Me) And Good Advice In General

• The title was changed to This Is A Really Interesting Video (for Data Hounds Like Me) And Good Advice In General

The nugget depth in the video above is very similar to my finds. Most were found with an old 7" by 14" Elliptical  "Nugget Finder mono coil." As for the weight of 1 ounce plus it has been mixed ½ near the surface, the rest on the limit of the large coils. The largest was "16 ounce of gold in a hundred ounce specimen". The larger nuggets all up was less than a ¼ of the weight on the sub 1 ounce nuggets. I hope those that are new to the game find the information helpful, and take in the fact that flogged ground that the nuggets will be small or specimen and very deep for it size with a very small chance of getting a missed larger nugget missed by those that know what they were doing.  

• Like 3

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed in the video but I'd like to see the data for, say, deeper than 6" plotted as nugget weight versus depth. Might be asking too much to color code the data points by detector/coil combo's! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Off Grid said:

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed in the video but I'd like to see the data for, say, deeper than 6" plotted as nugget weight versus depth. Might be asking too much to color code the data points by detector/coil combo's! 

Yes I agree, since he has the data it would be nice to see other forms of analysis as well.   Maybe we can send a quick email and ask for some other graphs as well.

Hopefully this won't sound too propeller-head but, hey, data is data!

I guess the data in the video would show that (all other parameters being equal) detection depth follows something close to a weight to the inverse sixth power rule. That's the theory I got courtesy of MineLab and what my own checks seem to indicate. I confess that once I get a good signal I'm in too much of a hurry to dig it to measure the depth correctly but, yes, about 100% <6"!

But I do have all the weights and the other issue that bugs me is "have I got everything?". Found this post from Aussie on the subject. 

https://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/gold-nugget-distribution.html

Long story short, plot your nugget patch data as a log-probability plot (Google will tell you how to do it in Excel). If you get a straight(ish) line you've got everything. Ideally you need about 30 nuggets! My star patch below is KW2 with close to a hundred nuggets (don't get excited that's only about an ounce and a half) and it's an alluvial terrace, no question. The plot is pretty straight. I have two 3-4 gram oddball nuggets that don't fit at the top end but the way the tail lifts below log -2 told me I'm missing small stuff. Put the 6" coil on the GB2 and started to find small stuff where I'd made 2-3 passes with the 10" coil. 

image.thumb.png.c68378f36c01688eeda210bceb05a85a.png

• Like 5

I've wanted to see these kinds of plots ever since I got into detecting for gold (6 years ago).  As long as a viewer keeps in mind the conditions/assumptions that went into it....  The creator makes no grandiose claims about what this represents, and mostly uses it as in intro to his more philsophical discussion which is the body of the video.

21 hours ago, Off Grid said:

Long story short, plot your nugget patch data as a log-probability plot (Google will tell you how to do it in Excel). If you get a straight(ish) line you've got everything.

Would you go into detail about what you mean by this?  I.e. why does your plot resulting in a straight line indicate that you've cleaned up the patch?

Also, what are the weight units of the horizontal scale?  And were all of these nuggets found with the Fisher Gold Bug 2?

Part 3 of the series reviews some of his spreadsheet techniques and gives examples of some of the data fields he collects.  As he mentions, there are many other data fields that can be added.  The title of the video is "DIY DATA Power - How to DIY Your Own Gold Detecting Finds"  and the link is (15585) DIY DATA Power - How to DIY Your Own Gold Detecting Finds - YouTube.  A good and informative video that provides a nice starting point for those interested in both data collection and interpretation to increase their level of success.

• Like 3