Are You A Big Gold Hunter Or Just Want It All?

14 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Gerry I am very selective. I only take the ones that I dig up and leave the other ones undug for others to find.😭

That's mighty wise of you my friend and gracious at the same time.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Norvic said:

Way back as stated in the first paragraph I reckoned I had the answers to this game now I know I don`t and that is why the challenge keeps us motivated keenly with this fever we have. 

Norvic,  Your read was most appropriate and brings back many memories of my early gold chasing, thought I had it figured out days and to see it from someone who was in pursuit of the Au with a detector...almost 15 yrs before I started collecting the heavy metal.  Yes the last part of your fine post is so accurate, until the next new improved detector comes out.

Thanks for contributing.

• Like 1

Gold Catcher - Your name suites your style well.  Yes each speci, nugget, picker, lottery chuck is worthy of a dig to most gold hunters and I totally understand/respect those who do so.  Finding Gold (the meaning) is different to some hunters and that's why I have come to the point of not caring to take pictures of VLF fly shit, or really matter to hunt it much any more.  Not saying I'm any better or above someone who does so, as I was once that person and any gold was better than none.

Now throughout my many yrs of detecting gold, my research, focus and challenge is more tuned and designed for the chunky clunkies. 

Now here is a different spin - I so much enjoy getting a few friends (who can hold their weight with a gold detector) together and just looking for new gold areas.  On these rare occasions my focus changes and it's all about "any gold my detector beeps".  Hunting gold with friends around, eating/drinking well, listening to stories of gold and the overall camaraderie associated and stronger friendships built on such trips, is really big with me as well.

Thanks for letting us in on your gold hunt and meaning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Gold Catcher - Your name suites your style well.  Yes each speci, nugget, picker, lottery chuck is worthy of a dig to most gold hunters and I totally understand/respect those who do so.  Finding Gold (the meaning) is different to some hunters and that's why I have come to the point of not caring to take pictures of VLF fly shit, or really matter to hunt it much any more.  Not saying I'm any better or above someone who does so, as I was once that person and any gold was better than none.

Now throughout my many yrs of detecting gold, my research, focus and challenge is more tuned and designed for the chunky clunkies. 

Now here is a different spin - I so much enjoy getting a few friends (who can hold their weight with a gold detector) together and just looking for new gold areas.  On these rare occasions my focus changes and it's all about "any gold my detector beeps".  Hunting gold with friends around, eating/drinking well, listening to stories of gold and the overall camaraderie associated and stronger friendships built on such trips, is really big with me as well.

Thanks for letting us in on your gold hunt and meaning.

Gerry, I very much agree with you! I admire your energy and passion and your posts are an inspiration for us all! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mike C... said:

As long as its gold  Im happy with what ever I find :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with that at all and it simplifies things.

I long ago realized that the gold most of us are seeking is all around us when we are out doing what we love. I have been lucky enough to have found my 2oz piece, I have dredged literally pounds of gold in mother lode rivers, and over the five decades I have looked for gold, I have realized that for me it is the impulse to search that is the real gold. 

Great write-up  Gerry, thanks for taking the time. Good hunting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1462954047_20210423_175503(2).thumb.jpg.810d2247271e6afc52067e5a14f14c65.jpg

3 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I long ago realized that the gold most of us are seeking is all around us when we are out doing what we love. 

I have realized that for me it is the impulse to search that is the real gold. 

A few weeks ago, I was with a family of long times friends in NV in search of gold.

While walking the high desert, seeing the variety of wild flowers in the spring, was very earthy at that moment as nobody for miles, no cars, no phones/computers and no buildings sirens and other disturbances.  Just me, my friends over the other hill and the wildflowers.  It was a beautiful earthly experience.

Then when we got back to camp that night, the friendships made around a good meal was priceless.

20210423_175629.jpg

20210423_181154 (2).jpg

• Like 5

Currently, I am in the thrill of the chase and proving areas of research have gold.  I am doing what I have been told to never do.....”leave gold to find gold.”  But I enjoy knowing I can stock up places to go back to and have fun at.  I think it is great fun to show our research and mapping pays off and gives a great successful feeling, plus the fun of exploring and discovering/relearning lost history.  

Dan and I actually found some drift mining for the first time, we have read about it many times but have never been able to still see it from over 100+ years ago, 20-30 ft shafts with drifting visible at the bottom.  Cribbing mostly gone.  These are usually filled in or collapsed but it looks like in this area they were forgotten or not done properly.  This has us now in explorer mode and Dan looking to “borrow” robotics to see if we can lower down in and explore to see what they were doing down there.  At least ~15+ shafts in the area, a few open to look.  So now detecting has halted......well maybe a few more swings since we have found gold in the side gulches going to the shafts 🤣

• Like 5

2 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Currently, I am in the thrill of the chase and proving areas of research have gold.  I am doing what I have been told to never do.....”leave gold to find gold.”  But I enjoy knowing I can stock up places to go back to and have fun at.  I think it is great fun to show our research and mapping pays off and gives a great successful feeling, plus the fun of exploring and discovering/relearning lost history.  

Yes, we are told that to never lave gold to find it, but I do as you and try to learn new places as well.

In fact, one of the fin things about real prospecting (were it be for old coins/relics or gold) is doing research at home, then trying to find the site out in the desert, hills, mountains....and then making a nice find of an Indian Head Cent, Railroad lock, or even that gold nugget.

Just like you do Brian,  I enjoy have multiple sites to hunt.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1