Are You A Big Gold Hunter Or Just Want It All?

I like my gold in all of it sizes small to big it makes no difference to me , i will admit the bigger pieces will make me do the happy dance when they come out of the ground.

IMG_9794.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glenn in CO said:

Gerry, thanks for a great write-up, always enjoy your posts.

I and my wife enjoy the hunt and if we come home with a few nuggets big or small all the better. It's great if friends or family can join you too. Here are some specimens that we found using a VLF detectors between 1990 and 1995.

Nuggets.jpg.aba27f04c7adfab7361fc6a61033a27e.jpg

Glenn,  You my friend are one of the few lucky guys to have a wife that enjoys the hunt while by your side.  Her enjoying the outdoors and chase of Au is as prized as a big nugget/specimen in itself and so for you two to be doing this so long is a milestone accomplishment.

Another thing, I'd like to add about you two.  I know and a few others, but many do not, that your are one of the premier CO specimen hunting teams and your efforts are top notch front page magazine material.

Just a total eye popping my friend.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge as well.

ABigeyes.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hey Gerry,

I think the key is to use what you can afford and maximize it's potential the best you can.  If you can only use a VLF to start with, learn it's pro's/con's, where it works best and hunt those locations.  If you can get a PI, so the same thing, being as productive and hunting as methodically as you can.  

If you're a "Trophy" hunter, you're going to cross a lot of the smaller guys for sure.  If you're hunting for everything like you mentioned, you're surely going to cross a "Trophy" at some point - hopefully.  

I don't think there is any real way to just hunt for big gold, or Trophies, beyond researching area that have historically produced big gold nuggets or large free milling gold in the past.  

That all being said, the biggest gold nugget on Earth might not have been found, so maybe it's on a hillside, outside of a little known gold district! :tongue:

Gold is where you find it, big or small.  Good luck.

Rob

• Like 9

4 hours ago, beatup said:

I like my gold in all of it sizes small to big it makes no difference to me , i will admit the bigger pieces will make me do the happy dance when they come out of the ground.

IMG_9794.JPG

Looking at your pics, it seems you too are not into chasing tiny VLF gold any more.?

My below picks of Success show the newer version Fisher Gold Bug GB-Pro and I tell you, I'm not much of a pickers kind of chaser anymore.

DSCN7879a.JPG

DSCN8546.JPG

• Like 4

Seems you could get any number of us together and there would be that same number of different styles of detecting. We are not team players but individuals but still able to enjoy the comradeship of teams, tis a magic pastime.

• Like 7

As they say “Go big or go home”.........I think this picture says it all.

If I miss some very small stuff then so be it but hey I’ll never know about it anyway !

05F3244C-1F53-432B-B5F7-12A53B29BF3C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rob A - The last time I planned a trip for VLF pickers, grabbed one, put on a small coil and chased specs was at least 10 yrs ago.  Sure I help customers find tiny gold at Rye Patch with their VLF's, but that's not really for me anymore to find those.  Heck, I'd rather leave them for the customers to find and let them have the excitement like I had years ago when I 1st started chasing gold.  To be honest, I even get board chasing .1 and .2 grammers with GPZ-7000, when I know there are a few 2 grammers near by.  Yes I go each Fall to RP to get my 1 ounce of NNV nuggets with my 7, as that's been kind of a ritual the last few yrs.  Rye Patch has a special place in my heart and I know the gold gods will provide me, but I also know there's bigger gold down the road.  To me, gold nugget hunting, it's kind of like the steps in life and after a while, my desires change and I prefer hunting bigger.  Maybe the way I am wired, as I used to hunt big game and fish that way as well.  Bigger is better and I don't need to kill, catch, or find small gold just to know I'm going home with meat/Au.  Maybe I'm more of a "about the hunt and adventure" at my stage of MD'ing career.  Thanks for your input.

Norvic - I really enjoy meeting small groups of like minded folks and detecting, learning, sharing and camaraderie.  Glad you enjoy the same.

Tony - Thinking big is perfectly fine with me.  Now the term "big" means different things to people and or even me on different hunts.  Sometimes I'm all about trying to find any gold at all if it's a new site, but like you, I don't grab a small coiled VLF either.  Those older PI's are power punchers on depth of bigger gold.  Thanks for bringing back memories of those good ol golden days.

Below pics, Me back approx 20 yrs ago swinging the new 20" round on a GP-Extreme.  That's a 30" long pick and if I'm not mistaken the 3 gram nugget was near 20" deep.

V0000167.thumb.JPG.10ae1f6c0b11607b75dfec03a7ab516f.JPGV0000166.thumb.JPG.7b442f710d247588b416cd298a843245.JPG

Klunker- Not really comparing big gold to small gold, just asked the style of the nugget hunters here on DP.  I'll pass the little stuff all day long to go home with a nice 3 grammer or specimen with 4 grams of gold.  I've realized I quit chasing specs a few years back. 

B-S10.jpg.83186f0655bdd8c2e8b79793861f4a54.jpg

Neither answer is right or wrong to each person as I'm happy if you are happy.  At the end, it all pays for the beer.

Thanks for the input and see you down the road... hopefully with big gold.

gerry3.thumb.JPG.c378ea18d36e12a9be4e8344e6885c7e.JPG

• Like 9

On 5/22/2021 at 12:13 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Glenn,  You my friend are one of the few lucky guys to have a wife that enjoys the hunt while by your side.  Her enjoying the outdoors and chase of Au is as prized as a big nugget/specimen in itself and so for you two to be doing this so long is a milestone accomplishment.

Another thing, I'd like to add about you two.  I know and a few others, but many do not, that your are one of the premier CO specimen hunting teams and your efforts are top notch front page magazine material.

Just a total eye popping my friend.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge as well.

ABigeyes.jpg

Thanks Gerry for the very kind words. Unfortunately the old age crap is beginning to catch up on us, more my wife than me. We still enjoy the friendly competition when we are  nugget hunting or coin/relic hunting. In fact she has found a gold coin and I'm still looking for my first. This coming July we will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and I wouldn't change anything if I had to do all over again. I'm very blessed and we have many memories of great finds, adventures and friends.

• Like 6