Maybe My Last GPX Beach Hunt For A While

Great stuff. 👍 It will be really interesting to read the story of the rings' return should you decide to write it. Glad you found all types of metal, sad you have to wrap it up. They don't allow metal detecting after Memorial Day?

Can't wait to see what you do with the Equinox! What coil will you use for the most part?

Kudos to your wife for helping out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Great stuff. 👍 It will be really interesting to read the story of the rings' return should you decide to write it. Glad you found all types of metal, sad you have to wrap it up. They don't allow metal detecting after Memorial Day?

Can't wait to see what you do with the Equinox! What coil will you use for the most part?

Kudos to your wife for helping out.

Thanks. If it works out that they respond back to me on the ring, I will let you know. I'm not one for getting their pictures or a video of the return. I would be happy with a quiet return. Just glad she gets her ring back. More and more beaches here are restricting detecting during operational hours. Same with pets on the beach. That's what the off season is reserved for. Usually they turn a blind eye after the life guards go home for the day. They probably won't bother the water guys either. But for me, not in the water, going there late afternoon is not worth it because of the travel time. I'm have zero time doing parks with the Equinox, so I will be sticking with the 11" coil until I find a decent program for it. I'll switch to the big coil once I get the hang of it. The 6" coil will probably be reserved for cellar holes and not parks, at least for now. My wife is a Saint 😄

• Like 3

Totally understand about the story, I wouldn't return something to someone with fanfare of any kind, it's just the ring is 50 years old, it sounded interesting. 🙂 Try as I might I can't find any family info on a dog tag I dug. May have to go to the USMC records. That's $$.

Next two places I'm going to go are North Carolina beaches, well one is a bulkhead in a sound. Already got permission. The other is open season, they like people cleaning up I guess. Waiting for a good low tide here or I'll have to get lighter waders, there isn't a boot or shoe that would stay on your feet in the river near me. 😀

I started out with the Equinox in Field 2, all metal, and I use Beach 2 in the river. Up there that may not be the best but I haven't found a better program here, not for lack of trying. I'm on lists for the 10x5 Coiltek coil.

Looking forward to your posts. 

• Like 2

You have killed that beach and it keeps giving.  Do you think it was there because of tidal action at some point or was it there because of a commercial enterprise?  That silver is really nice and getting on to 200!  Fantastic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

You have killed that beach and it keeps giving.  Do you think it was there because of tidal action at some point or was it there because of a commercial enterprise?  That silver is really nice and getting on to 200!  Fantastic.

This beach has been awesome to me, not just this season but for 3 or 4 other seasons. Hopefully I can get one more hunt in this Thursday and then I'll do a final count for this season and a total count for all seasons at that beach (with pictures). I think it's given me about 450 silvers in all. Most of it comes from 3 smaller sections of a pretty large beach. The rest is scattered in area of opportunity.  It's weird, once you get to an area that starts producing the deep stuff, you don't move very much. I could spend 6 hours in a 20x40 foot patch. My wife moved her blanket over next to me, cause she says you haven't moved in hours 😄 I bury my holes well, but it still looks like a bombing run.  The tides definitely move a lot of sand during storms and I think the result of over 50 years of surges, made most of those completely disintegrated, paper thin coins. The rest of the solid coins were there probably from the 40's and up. It's an old beach and a popular one, so just the fact that it's been around from at least the 30's is the reason for all the coins. This beach gets detected a lot!!! I can just imagine what others have pulled from here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow thats a long day of digging! Nice silvers and 10k ring.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kac said:

Wow thats a long day of digging! Nice silvers and 10k ring.

Thanks kac. Beach days are my recharge days from work.😄

• Like 2