Orx Update Is Gone?

kac

Trying to update my Orx and the update is not on their site. Curious if they did anything to improve the ID's? Getting copper pennies in low 90's and quarters at 96? The chart says much different ranges than that.

• Oh my! 1

The only ORX “update” I remember was for fixing a pairing issue between the controller and headphones. All new ORXs should have 1.1 software update. I don’t know of any other update.

My Deus on 18kHz and from what I can remember the ORX which is ID normalized also at 18 kHz, read wheats and pre 1982 Memorials at 90/91/92 and clad quarters at 95 and rarely 94 or 96. Those numbers are for surface to 4” or so depending on mineralization. Those numbers may go up slightly for deeper targets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Numbers are slightly higher than the Gold Racer. System is 1.0 and I did have trouble pairing the headphones so thinking I should update it if I can find it..

Also noticed for product registration is only for the Deus, no Orx registration. Very odd.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, kac said:

Numbers are slightly higher than the Gold Racer. System is 1.0 and I did have trouble pairing the headphones so thinking I should update it if I can find it..

Also noticed for product registration is only for the Deus, no Orx registration. Very odd.

Do you have to pair the headphones on every bootup?  If not, you don't have the issue.  I have 1.0 too (actually it displays at "0.1"), no issues.  I think the update was actually labeled 0 1.1 was for a few limited units IIRC and it probably doesn't change the ver number displayed on bootup.  If you are really that worried about the update and registration, contact the XP service center at:

Detector Electronics Corp.
23 Turnpike Road
Southboro, MA 01772
508-460-6244

HTH

• Like 3

Yup, I think they've pulled the update for some reason, perhaps it was causing issues as people put it on units that didn't need it.  Probably some sort of compatibility problem between a certain batch of headphones and the detector.

This update 0.1.1 corrects the loss of pairing between some ORX remotes and the WSA wireless headset. Only apply this update if your previously connected WS Audio headphones will not pair when you turn on your remote and headset.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LyWp3qLytskz6jTGUZWgvMDNzqf8Bu83/view

Don't install it unless you need it, you're meant to contact them via email and they see if you need it or not before giving it to you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Headphones seem to be ok now. Took me the longest time to get them to pair at first but could have been emi which is really bad in my house. If the update was only for the headphones then I'll skip it.

I snagged this because I wanted a super light machine to putter around parks and woods, my elbow is starting to give me problems from slothing around with bigger machines. So far it's a fun little machine, certainly fits what I got it for.

• Like 4

After having the Orx for less than a day, fiddling with settings and making the mistake of setting disc to 0 which turns out to be the iron tone break point. I set everything back to the factory settings (disc at 7) and made a custom setting of coin fast with reactivity at 2.5, and 15khz which is the lowest I can go and have it play nice with my pinpointer. I hit the river nearby for a little over an our and machine handled the high iron area very well. I didn't bother with any of the gold modes as the constant target hits of junk would drive ya mad. Made that mistake before with my MK and Gold Racer in all metal.

Nothing really old other than the tiny knob but I didn't dig too much trash either given the area.

Having a fair number of hours on the Gold Racer and high frequency machine helped a lot as I knew sort of what numbers to pay attention to. Anyone not used to having a high frequency machine may consider the x-35 coil instead, probably much easier in trashy areas.

64350708337__C0C1522E-7DDA-4092-835E-699881C30F5C.JPG

• Like 9

Great hunt Ken.....

I am a fan of the ORX but I like the Deus just a little bit more.

The ORX in the Gold modes can actually act like a two tone detector if you use raise the Disc. IAR setting above zero and turn Iron Tone ON. The Iron Tone audio can get old since there is no volume control............WHY?

If the ORX had Iron Tone volume control I would still own one for sure.

Using Disc. IAR is not likely to mask larger non-ferrous targets and only gives a little iron discrimination on shallower and bigger iron targets. I only rarely used it gold prospecting when I was hunting in areas near old sluices and shacks where the ground was littered with nails and rusting tin. It might work really great for relic hunting in special circumstances.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Using Disc. IAR is not likely to mask larger non-ferrous targets and only gives a little iron discrimination on shallower and bigger iron targets. I only rarely used it gold prospecting when I was hunting in areas near old sluices and shacks where the ground was littered with nails and rusting tin. It might work really great for relic hunting in special circumstances.

One thing I found on IAR (at least as far as Deus is concerned) is that if the ground is super mineralized, non ferrous target signals also get broken up (similar to ferrous targets), so there appears to be a point where the ground mineralization interferes with the effectiveness of IAR.

I mirror Jeff's opinion of the Orx.  A good compromise between price and features vs. the Deus.  Not a Deus killer, but certainly a better alternative to the Deus Lite package (Deus with only the wireless phones and no controller box) for getting introduced to the XP Deus/Orx wireless detecting approach.  I personally can live without an iron volume adjustment (I keep it at maximum, generally, on Deus), but it would be nice to have.   But even lacking that feature, if ORX had pitch tones, it would serve as more than just a backup for me.  Add Full tones, and it would be an outright Deus replacement for my purposes. 

One significant advantage of the Orx is that it normalizes tones for all coils. kac was lamenting the high tone ID numbers on ORX, but if you have the Deus, the high frequency (HF) white coils have NO ability to be selectively switched to 18 khz ID normalization like you have on the ORX (weird that Deus can't/doesn't normalize the HF coils but the ORX does).  So on Deus, the HF coil high conductive target IDs are crammed even higher into the 90 - 99 range.  Of course, on ORX, unlike Deus, you don't have the choice to use non-normalized IDs so your lose the advantage of the larger TID spread at lower coil frequencies <18 khz.  Oddly enough, despite the Deus not normalizing the HF coil TIDs, the Deus can normalize the X35 coil target IDs for the 25 khz operating frequency (but doesn't do that for the same operating frequency on the HF coils).  At some point it would make sense for XP to synchronize the software target ID normalization implementation features between the ORX and DEUS platforms to remove these quirks.

kac - BTW - I may have missed it but what x35 (?) coil are you using?

• Like 2

Taking me a bit to get used to the audio but it seems to have more nuances than the Kruzer. Starting to hear the difference on aluminum bottle caps, figured out the discrimination is an iron break point which is better for my hunting style. I made the mistake first time out of turning the iron disc to 0 and ended up digging steel bottle caps LOL.

Headphones proved to be a bit tricky to put on as they wouldn't fit on top of my skull LOL. At first I thought it was weird having them in back of my head but actually work out way better for woods hunting as lower branches don't knock them off, some sort of mild genius went into that 🙂

I have the 9" round HF, after using the Gold Racer I don't mind the coppers and silvers being crammed in the high 80's-mid 90's the tone breaks seem ok where they hit so it's sort of easy to do some cherry picking.

As compared to the Gold Racer, the all metal mode on the Gold Racer is much better, much smoother and you can hear the subtlies of the ground changes, something the ORX lacks as the gold modes just seem very filtered and more like a 2 tone iron/vco. Threshold on the gold modes seem somewhat useless on the ORX but maybe others may disagree.

Depth on the Orx HF is pretty much spot on to my Tejon with the smaller 8x9 concentric so it isn't going to slaughter dimes at 9" but more like 7 or so in these grounds. Depth on the Gold Racer is much greater but not having a choice on frequency the Gold Racer gets slaughtered in depth in the rich black dirt we have in some meadows and fields. Dry poor soil the Gold Racer is incredible and id's spot on.

Took the Orx to the beach and first hunted in my hardly modified coin fast at 15khz and salt mode, it did ok then I tried making Gold Fine where I put the IAR on 1 and frequency at 13khz. Ran very quiet and smooth even at 95 gain in the wet sand. Nope didn't dunk the coil, got other machines for that but it handled the iron in the salt very well and was able to sniff out a couple nickels and few pennies. Depth wise not earth shattering, coins all less than 8" most in the 4-6".

Big plus of it all is the weight. This will fill that gap for scouting out areas and pick through parks and woods.

I would have kept the Gold Racer but it was just too limited. The Disc modes were ok but the audio was hard to follow. I had primarily used it as an all metal hunter for that reason which further limited it's use.

Orx for me fills that gap nicely.

• Like 1