What's With These Equinox Coils?

I'm still looking for an Equinox 800 and have been cruising ebay. Serious Detecting has several "slightly used" 600's and 800's with the images of the bottoms of the coils with white material exposed. Where the white isn't exposed it appears to me that the bottom of the coil is just covered with a plastidip or spray bedliner like substance. I know nothing about the Equinox and I'm guessing that the white is the internal expandable foam that holds the coil wires in place? From the images the coil bottoms don't appear to be worn to expose the white, is this a quality control issue?s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7e41e60d6cd3abbdf33fec2651f95ec8.jpg

Are the bottoms of the Equinox coils generally exposed like this, with no hard bottom, or are these coils an anomaly. 

This image also shows a coil cover/skid plate, but several of the ads don't indicate that a cover is included.

Most of Serious Detecting’s current used detector adds have photos of the coils with the coil covers off. The epoxied areas are showing some “white” areas which are from poor photography and are not actual white areas on the coils. The Equinox, X Terra and E-trac coil photos all have these “white” areas from the photo flash or from a reflection/lighting problem.

If you are interested in one of those detectors and still have doubts, ask them a question.

Personally, you can’t beat Minelab‘s current brand new Equinox 600 deal with the free ML80 Bluetooth headphones. Some of the US dealers have that bundled package for the normal $649 regular price. With the three year warranty and free $100+ headphones, that deal beats any used 600 that sells for US $500 or more.

• Like 5

Copy what Jeff said.  The "white material" in the photo is actually light glare from the epoxy used to fill the coil cavity. They all look like that underneath, but the coil's bottom snap-on cover covers it from view and protects the bottom of the coil.

• Like 1

Here's another one. I haven't seen this in any of their other ads showing the bottom, or from any other ad from other sellers.

Looks weird to me? But I'll go with your experience!s-l1600a.thumb.jpg.3acd4a29ba84b8469d5c8a417b90eeb7.jpg

It's hard, very shiny black resin, sometimes called "potting compound" in the manufacturing industry. And it's tough, so in most circumstances, the coil cover is not needed, saving weight --- important, as the coil is quite big and heavy, giving the overall detector a nose-heavy feel to it.

If you look at ALL of Serious Detecting’s used detectors selling on EBay USA, you will see similar issues with all of their current Minelab black coil photos. I think there are at least five listings. Unless they got all five detectors from one person on a trade-in who applied some kind of really weird coating to random areas of those coils............Nah

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

If you look at ALL of Serious Detecting’s used detectors selling on EBay USA, you will see similar issues with all of their current Minelab black coil photos. I think there are at least five listings. Unless they got all five detectors from one person on a trade-in who applied some kind of really weird coating to random areas of those coils............Nah

Yeah, it is just their recent posts for "slightly used" 600's and 800's. Strange.

I agree that the current 600 deal with the wireless headphones is very tempting but I'm really hoping to move into the 21st century and get an 800, replace both the 20+ year old Sovereign XS-2 at the beach and the V-SAT for gold (well not completely into the 21st century, much to my children's dismay I still use a flip phone).

• Like 2

Yup, it's just shiny epoxy glare.

I'm guessing they removed the cover to show that the coil is still like new underneath.

• Like 2