A Great Hunt With The Core

Hunted an old home site/mine this morning with the Fores CoRe. I've hunted this place a couple of times before and I'm getting it figured out. This was my best hunt here yet. The CoRe is great for picking the good stuff from the bad.

post-702-0-29403700-1454299065_thumb.jpg

Today was the day for old, large caliber (52 cal), rim-fire cases both rifle and pistol (41 cal). One not fired! The Webelos neckerchief slide is really cool. The shotgun head stamp says Peters/Victor. Never found one like this before. 

The large disc is from a silver slag pour I found there last time. They did some small time smelting as I have found some copper slag as well as this silver pour. It was dirty and had stuff stuck in it so I melted it, cleaned it up some, and poured it in to a round mold. This is the second silver pour I have found. 

I'm really liking the CoRe for this kind of work (play) :) .

Good luck!

Dean

• Like 6

Great relics, I like the old rim-fires and the slag pour particularly.

Thanks for the comments guys! 

I'm trying to research the old rim fire cases and not having a reat deal of luck. Does anyone know of a good site? Thanks!

Dean

Thank you, goldbrick.

I'm having problems identifying the different cases. Notice that there are four different types. The two on the left have been necked down and have a shoulder. The two on the right are much smaller in diameter and the one that has not been fired is much longer than the others. So far, (as best as I can tell) this is what I've got...

The shorter rifle cases with no shoulder are .56-.56 Spencer

The two with the shoulder are .56-.46 Spencer (One of the first wildcats. A necked down .56-.56. Rare.)

The long un-fired shell appears to be a .56.-56 Extra Long Spencer

The two small cases appear to be (measured length) .44 Henry Pointed cases.

All 1860s era.

To the best of my limited sources, FWIW, this is what I think I've got. If anyone knows different please chime in. 

Thanks!

Dean

P.S.- www.cartridge-corner.com seems to be a pretty source.