My Equinox 800 no longer charges, the green light flicks on and off as if its doing its job but the battery is not holding a charge.. as soon as i turn it on i get the 'battery flat' sign.. I'm one of those pedantic bastards who always runs their battery flat and then fully recharges it, for fear that otherwise it'll create a 'memory' half full.. 

Is there anything I can do about this? or is my poor old Foxy Noxy a write off? 

Any advice will be much appreciated.. even slaughtering a black chicken at midnight during a full moon, if it works I'll be a very happy man! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ehhhhhh... Lithium ion batteries don't have much magic to them. They either charge or they don't all of a sudden. I've always been advised to never let them go below 25%, been using them in other devices for years, and I have had a few kick the bucket. Some just... stop.

So ya got a few options. If the machine is under warranty, great, but you may have to part with it for a while. If it isn't you can get a replacement battery and replace it yourself. There are a few videos out there that will show you how. Be careful about sealing things up right. It may not be "dunkable" unless you pay strict attention to o rings and such.

The Equinox may stand alone or is one of the few machines that can run with an external battery attached via the charging cord, get a Power Delivery (PD) backup battery and attach it somewhere (velcro?) plug the detector into it and go. They are pretty cheap, and a 15000mAH battery will last 3 times as long as the installed battery. Anything bigger than that would be just too big. even a 5000mAH will give you the same life. I have found my detector didn't charge once and ran the battery out, I just taped the biggun' to the shaft, plugged it in, and started swinging. The extra cable is a bit fiddly. You will notice the additional weight as well, and you can't get the battery wet . The reason I mention PD specifically is twofold, they have a USB C receptacle and most charge things much faster than a "standard" backup (USB B)

At least you can use ol' Foxy Noxy until you get a replacement battery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Try cleaning the contacts with alcohol where the charger attaches. One of them might be dirty.

• Like 4

Most devices have a battery monitor circuit  that shuts the unit down before the battery gets too low to accept a charge.   The PD battery may "jump start" the battery to get it charging regularly again but if not , going with a new battery isn't too hard to do. I have a small PD battery I carry as a backup in case the built in one dies before I do !  Oh My Goshk !  Haven't needed it yet but will also work on the cell phone , headphones or whatever else needs charging.....

Maybe someone will come out with one of those sun shade hats with a built in solar panel that can keep the detector fully charged as long as there is sun shining ???  LOL 

• Like 4

I think abenson is on to something here. Of course I took the long road, I'm a noob. The one time my 600 didn't charge I swear the green light was flashing, I always plug it in at the end of the day. I "may" have wiped the contacts when I connected the PD battery as a reflex.

Nevertheless, if you are like me and find yourself out hunting 5 hours or more, you need a PD battery in your pocket or pack or bag. I hated having to quit when two of the three bars were gone.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

If the machine is under warranty, great

Thanks for your advice F350Platinum (and others), but my Foxy Noxy was bought second hand (like all my detectors).. I'm thinking about pulling the battery out of my Nox 600 and putting it in the Nox 800.. and just share it between the two.. I've seen the videos on youtube on how to replace the battery but I can't find that particular battery in Oz.. 

• Like 2

Yup yup , If you have a 600 . Switching the batteries and trying charging both will tell you if its the battery or charger circuit that's giving you the problem !

• Like 1

Might be worth just sending it in for a new battery and tuneup. Risk of getting some off brand battery and toasting the whole unit + labor and effort vs tossing the control unit in a box and let them deal with it is something to think about.

Would be a different story if the company was no longer around.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Erik Oostra
      Some folk believe that their prayers are rewarded, others claim that if you ask the Universe for anything it’ll respond.. But when you need a new battery for your Foxy Noxy, these methods don't work anywhere near as good as keeping an eye out on Ebay..
      Since that awful day last month when the battery on my Nox 800 stopped charging I’ve considered many options, including an external power-pack (expensive), soldering the plug-in cable to other lithium batteries (deadly), and to keep on swapping with the battery from my Nox 600 (pain in ass)..
      This afternoon I searched on Ebay and scored two new Equinox batteries for just $50 (plus $10 postage).. That’s a new battery for Foxy Noxy and a spare for the unlikely event I ever need another one! Gotta love them win/win days..

• By phrunt
      I stumbled across this video of the F75 finding a silver coin deeper than the Equinox, and then he goes on to show the F75 performing better finding a coin between iron.
      What are your thoughts on this one? I never did bother buying a F75 even though a SE edition came up for sale extraordinary cheap nearby to me, my experience with my T2 had me thinking my Nox was better in almost all situations, was I wrong?    I'm a bit puzzled by this video and I guess it could be soil conditions or something but I've found my Nox far better on deep silver than my T2 and I sure have experimented a lot on untouched in ground silvers.
    • By mn90403
      I saw some waves last night and thought I'd get in a wet beach detect today before I drive to a one day desert hunt in the Southern California mountains.  I didn't know what to expect and I didn't find very much of interest but I did find this pendant.   
      Does anyone know anything about it and what the symbols and writings mean?  I'll do an image search and post what I find.

• By mn90403
      Today I was walking along the wet sand just looking for any targets and not finding many.  Then I found a Jesus ring. Thank you Jesus!  I gridded the area near the ring and found an Italian chain marked CU SU so I guess that means it is only gold ionized or something like that.  It is pretty.  It was time to get off the wet sand on the mile plus walk back to the car.
      I walked around the area where I had found my Franklin 50 Cent piece and nothing new.  I went through the area nearby where I had found some recent silver and then followed my pattern back to the car.  It was a warm day and I had to keep myself slowed down at about the 3 hour mark to keep in the game.  Then I got the 35 on the Equinox and it turned out to be only my second silver 50 cent piece.  I don't think I've held one of these since I was a kid.  In the same general area was the 1944 Quarter and a couple of silver dimes.  That makes for a pretty good day.

These are the best of the finds with two wheat pennies.

Just after I found the ring which is unmarked I got a 5 on the 800.  When I dug it I could see the chain hanging out of the scoop.

Then you feel it and know the weight is not quite right even tho the color is good.

Then later I saw the markings and now it is stylish but not solid gold.  I gridded the area and kept telling myself that chains don't sound like coins.

Then about half an hour later I did get a coin sound and what a nice coin it is.

This has not been touched as far as cleaning.  It is one of those substantial coins that when you hold it it feels good.  So you settle down and get to work looking for more.

It was not long after and I had the quarter and a couple of dimes and the wheats.
      This was the way it all looked when I dumped it in the containers after the hunt.

The saw blade was quite odd.  I'll go back to that area one day at the beginning of my hunt rather than at the end.
      Mitchel

• By mn90403
      I have an 800 that I use at the beach.  Sometimes it drops and this causes the plastic stand to break.  I glue it but it has happened about 3 times and soon I won't be able to glue it.
      It is time to get a new cuff/stand.  I'm really not interested in new shafts but ...
      I use the 15" more than any coil if that makes a difference.
      Mitchel
    • By Sasquatch
      Last weekend I made the drive from Anchorage up to the Taylor Highway and past Chicken to the Jack Wade public gold panning area.  Look up Steve’s excellent posts on the area for more descriptions and pictures of nuggets, no gold on my trip.
      It’s still pretty early so Chicken wasn’t even open yet and some ice shelfs were still along sections of the creek. Got great weather, just some passing downpours but in a T-shirt with no mosquitos most of the time.  I did take waders to cross the creek,as it was running a little high with snowmelt.
      This was the first trip I dedicated a lot of time as a serious search for gold and was just as much about learning the detector.  Mostly I have worked beaches, campsites, a few roadsides, so I know it can find the tiniest bits of melted aluminum can, bullets and coins.
      As expected I dug a lot of trash, but I did find some interesting nuggets that are definitely not gold.  Most are iron based, magnetic, but a couple look very noduly, and one is not magnetic. The others are probably just rusted bits of iron.  There were some sparkles I thought might be pyrite but I think is just dust from the surrounding shist as even the nails and bits of wire sparkle under the right light. Take a look at the pics and see what you think, maybe just welding or torch cutting remnants. They were all in the same area.
      The area has been heavily worked by detectorists with lots of dig holes around.  Equally lots of unexplored tailings but many so overgrown that swinging a detector is impossible. I put in about 16 hours of exploring and detecting on the tailings. Covered a wide variety of terrain and tailings, new, old, tall, short, and along some bedrock sections.
      On to the Equinox: I tried both Park 2 and the Gold 1 settings.  Obviously, my ear is not tuned to the Gold 1 program, it was providing way more chatter than I could process, even with sensitivity turned down to 15 or so.  I would have turned it down more but I could run in Park 2 at 20-22 sensitivity and thought I may miss more in Gold 1.  I was using the 11” stock coil.
      Is it normal to have to run at a much lower sensitivity in the gold modes?
      Most of the time I ended up running in Park 2 with -7,-8,-9 turned off, which may have been a mistake. With how worked the area is, the best chance is probably digging all the iron and hoping for a nugget that might be masked by the trash.
      In one area I did have some trouble with hot rocks, they would sound as a fairly small but round 12 with iron nearby but after digging out would end up as a -6 hot rock.  Was curious why it read so high.
      All in all a great trip.  No gold, and not much wildlife but got a nice shot of a Short-eared Owl on the drive out the Taylor Hwy.   Photos of finds, handful of magnetic nuggets, close up of the non magnetic nugget (maybe lead or silver?)