What’s Going On With My V3i?

Yesterday I drove an hour to pick up a V3i off Craigslist. Everything tested out fine when I bought it. By the time I drove back, I had about half an hour of sunlight so went to the park and found about half a dozen coins. When I got home, I restored the modified programs and went out in the grass to adjust to my liking when the machine started behaving erratically. I noticed the battery voltage was getting low, so thought that might be the problem. Today when I got home, I inserted the recharged battery and it’s still acting up. I searched the forums here and found someone else has reported the same issue, but I didn’t see a post about it being resolved. Any help is appreciated!

As Steve wrote ..... it looks like the Spectra V3i is interfering with EMI .. - it's hard to see when you press 3F pinpoint ../ minute 1:17 to 1:20 in your video / .. So try the frequency shifted in the Transmit function Offset from the center / value 0 / to +5 or vice versa up to the value -5 so that you eliminate as much as possible in the EMI effect on your detector ...

Then try TX bost ON in the Sensitivity menu - and reduce the RX gain to 5 ... - this should also help eliminate EMI.

And ..use also Ground filters type Band-tie are more resistant to EMI ... than Ground filters type High ... The factory setting of the programs usually uses a Ground filter 10hz High - and it may not be the most resistant to EMI ..

As for the rapid drop in battery voltage - it's usually one wrong battery cell /in battery pack/ - which can't transmit enough power to the detector to work properly. Spectra V3i has a strong current consumption - so correct and reliable AA batteries are important here ...

In this video, some of my V3 spectra settings ..and their effect on the stability and depth range of the detector ..

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for taking time to help. I took it to the park this afternoon and it seems it was simply EMI.  I’ve never had that issue around my house with any other detector. Now I know when I run into this in the future, to be selective about the coil and what settings I need to change. Or, just pull out my trusty Spectrum XLT.

I have to say those were painful vids to watch.

EMI tip...When you get into a situation like that with moderate settings, see if you can walk out of it.   I have some rally bad spots that I can walk 50 feet away and get out of it and be perfectly stable.

2nd vid....I don't know what the point of that one was.  

Sorry, don't mean to offend, but .....It really was a tough watch.

Mike

• Like 2

Glad you've got it sorted.

I quite enjoyed watching El Nino's video, the tones on the V3i sound like an old DOS game using the PC Speaker.  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My video Spectra V3 ... / it's Vision / simply shows that this detector can be, with the right settings, extremely stable and also very deep ..

The test site is a fruit garden near my house ... there are several EMI sources right away ...

1 .target-14mm 0.6 gram silver earring at a depth of 20cm,
2 ..target. 14mm -0.45 gram silver hammered to a depth of 23cm,
The 3rd target is a gold circle 4x5mm-0.05 gram at a depth of 10cm- it is a challenging target - but Spectra in the test can also give a good signal for this micro target.
The 4th target is a 50 eurocent coin at a depth of 36-37 cm ... this target is also demanding for deep detection.

The Spectra settings in my test .. correspond to the advice regarding the correct and stable Spectra V3 settings..for detection..

• Like 3

Mike .... smaller coil 7 "detech ultimate ,, or 6x8" Sef .. can do enough to reduce the effect of Emi ,,, combined with a stable working frequency offset ....
 Another decisive factor is after using a 5Hz Band or 7.5Hz / 10Hz / 12.5Hz Band ground filter and also using TX bost ON in combination with a reduced RX Gain - it can strongly reduce the effect of EMI on my other coils ... 12X10 " SEF or 13 "Ultimate ...

if you change the ground filter type Band to type High ... 5Hz / 7.5Hz / 10hz High ... the resistance of the detector against Emi decreases strongly ..

The only filter of the High type that is sufficiently resistant to emissions is the Ground filter 12.5hz High- but it is also the least deep ... so I use it only for strong 2D separation in iron.

Finally, the use of a highly set sensitivity of DS at 97 only confirms ... how stable the detector is at such settings ...

TX bost ON in addition to EMI resistance at Spectra V3 can strongly add depth, as well as sensitivity to small objects ... - therefore it should use the "standard setting" of the detector - especially when working on 3F multifrequency.-because the multifrequency without bost is power and less deep than the 1F frequency alone ...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My V3I went haywire nuts near any underground electrical lines …..at the Parks if there’s a stand alone light pole…..there’s underground electrical going to it. 

• Like 2