1942 S Walking Liberty Half-dollar, 1944 Washington Quarter, 2 Silver Dimes!

22 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'll go back to that area one day at the beginning of my hunt rather than at the end.

Mitchel

That’s a great beach hunt, Mitchel.  Those coins definitely haven’t seen much moisture all these years.  I’m assuming the sand you’re hunting to find those oldies has a hard pack layer (the deeper you dig, as opposed to soft, fluffy sand).  Those silver coins you found remind me so much of my dry sand hunts at a specific stretch of beach, where I dug over 600 silver in 2 years there.  I surmised there should undoubtedly be similar conditions at other beaches as the beach I was hunting.  I would dig every solid, smooth signal with my PI machine (my Explorer couldn’t attain the depths I was finding some of the coinage and other artifacts, so I always used my PI).  I wore out a couple of solid stainless scoops over a two year period, but it was so worth the effort.

Some food for thought....there were times I thought I had meticulously gridded sections/stretches of dry sand after finding a decent amount of silver/wheats/artifacts, and I’d swear there couldn’t possibly be anything else to find in this particular spot if I hunted it another day.....but I’d go back, and to my surprise, I would find more oldies....I was using a large coil on my PI too (17x13”).  It doesn’t take much to miss a deep coin.....if the surface of the sand is heavily uneven, with pits, and divots, those conditions will mask deeper coinage.  If the surface gets more leveled/even, your chances for finding the deepies increases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More information on the lettering on the chain:

SU CH was a misprint on the stamp, as it should read SUCK.

That was used for people that were being real cheap when buying something for the wife.

The person selling the item was telling the buyer  in his own way "SUCKER"

• Haha 4