Later Rather Than Sooner On The 6000?

Found this posted today on "GPX 6000 Fault" topic on Gold Prospecting Australia forum from deepblue:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=609151#p609151

I just received my GPX6000 back from Minelab they did a very good job on the repairs and a quick turn around. The problem wasn't there originally but came over time. Every now and then a bump of the coil would cause the GPX6000 to turn off or shut down with an error message coil error.
Then after a while turning on the machine would reset it and it would be ok for sometime it the next bump. Thinking that it was the coil it was changed out for the 14" DD from the 11" Mono. Didn't make any difference to which coil was being used. The Battery was checked and maintained a full charge. I did notice a one point when the Display was gently tapped the machine shutdown with the coil error message displayed.
Kept on trying all different options to get the GPX6000 working continuously but to no joy.
Took the GPX6000 back to where I purchased it and they arranged for a warranty repair, turns out it was a loose or badly fitting connection between the boards. I had heard of this problem before guess it just lucky to get one.
Took it out today for a test on I'm very impressed with the repair and machine it runs perfect scored 8 pieces in an hour 1 piece was in a rock over 6" down no visible gold to see but found it when I crushed it.
Thanks again to Minelab service for a great job. 
cheers db

• Like 2

My 2 bobs worth, the EMI "problem" you fellows are on about doesn`t exist from my use. It is much like the volume control on the GPZ 7000, the higher you set it the more hotter the machine is. The vids you are watching I would say have the speaker volume turned right up, thus the induced instability". I suspect the volume control is not a totally AG gain control but more a digital RF gain control not like a linear booster one places on the audio output.  

Further to this I have been playing with the volume control setting on both the 6000 and the Torus headband and an early observation is this can be a powerful feature ie. with the volume control on the 6000 increased from minimum and the volume control decreased on the headband the machine becomes hotter and seems to bring in the positive signals even more pronounced which at this early stage makes the 6000 detecting ability more like a VLF and thus may be the answer to those fine specie that PIs to now cannot detect as well as VLFs. Might just be the PI that suits Gerry`s detecting style.

Like I said at the beginning my 2 bobs worth is, tis naught to be concerned about. The 6000 to me is one hot detector with new superior technology and like Steve said will probably become a classic like the GB2, those of us who were at it when the GB2 was introduced will well remember the negatives people expressed towards it and that was before the social forums we now enjoy. Heh I`m the fellow who was right amongst the X coil advantage what a month or so back, that had every negative possible thrown at, but they filled my pocket as the 6000 is now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, alaska detector said:

A lot of this could be tied to the chip shortage. I build PCs as an extension of a gaming hobby and it’s been near impossible since September to get a graphics card. It’s gotten so bad that I’m considering buying a whole prebuilt computer just to get the upgrade I need. 

Of course a chip shortage probably isn’t the only factor, but it sure as hell probably isn’t helping matters. 

I think the chip shortage is affecting the US more than elsewhere, it's certainly not hard to get video cards in our part of the world, even the high end ones are mostly available.  This is the business I used to be involved with, not an issue at all there getting stuff.  They carry stock in the hundreds of each card though so a shortage is less of a problem than businesses that stock 1 or 2 cards replacing them from the distributor each time they sell one.

https://www.computeralliance.com.au/video-cards

The shipping backlog is hurting more than the chip shortages.   I guess the world shouldn't reply on one small island prone to typhoons and flooding and at high risk of a China takeover to manufacture the worlds chips though 🙂   Over the years Taiwan flooding has caused us involved in the IT industry many headaches with shortages of CPU's and Memory regularly taking place due to events in Taiwan, mostly related to weather.

The graphics card shortage, in the US anyways, has less to do with chips and almost everything to do with the crypto mining boom. Graphics cards are way more efficient and powerful at mining than CPUs. The card I bought 2 years ago is worth 2x used on Ebay what I paid for it brand new because miners are bidding graphics cards sky-high. 

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

My 2 bobs worth, the EMI "problem" you fellows are on about doesn`t exist from my use. 

Might let JP know then, because he's the one that pointed the problem out to us and recommended not to use the speaker at all. He works with engineers, I imagine he knows. It's not like we are pulling this out of thin air.

I dont use headphones at all. Even in the wind. The only exception is when it's cold and windy enough that I need to warm my ears, or sometimes in wyoming with 50 to 60mph winds. Torus, boosters, volume trick workarounds have zero interest to me on this machine. I'm buying it as a quick, simple, powerful prospecting machine with minimal rig up and down time. The speaker working is a big part of that, and so is not having to stop or slow down to noise cancel constantly. 

I found the 6000 usable with the speaker (I had my phone on in my breast concealed carry pocket too), but we were also quite some distance from cities, so I'm curious how it does in a place like Arizona with quite heavy EMI in places, or if it's specifically interference from the speaker itself.

*(Welcome back Simon, just noticing you are here posting)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes we can call the instability with the speaker a design flaw if you like (BTW it has nothing to do with what coil is attached), I personally could give a rats arse, it is what it is!!

Might let JP know then, because he's the one that pointed the problem out to us and recommended not to use the speaker at all. He works with engineers, I imagine he knows. It's not like we are pulling this out of thin air.

I think the first quote above says what JP thinks about this "problem", think I`ll do the unthinkable and join JP and stop giving a rats arse. 

• Like 4

Sounds like a good plan to me. Here's the thing Norvic: not everyone is you. We are allowed to want different things in equipment - up to and including expecting  the equipment to work as should be expected.

If I bought a 7000 and was told not to use the WM12 because it interfered with the detector I would have rightfully brought up the same issue prior to purchasing one. I only use the WM12 just like I will only use the 6000 speaker. I literally own one pair of crappy old headphones that I never plan on using, the rest were destroyed by using them for drumming. Its important to me. I want to understand exactly what the issue is, and if it's being fixed before I buy it. Don't like it? Tough luck dude.

You aren't the gatekeeper of all that may or may not be discussed. 

• Like 2

It does seem a weird problem like when the speaker is engaged it becomes some sort of antenna or powering the speaker when its very close to other electronics that are very sensitive is generating noise, very odd it would make it to market like that.  I'm sure it's something that will just be remedied in the background without notice and later purchasers won't notice the problem with it as much as earlier owners.   It would bother me as I'd likely be an exclusive speaker user forced to find an alternative to the speaker. 

Maybe they were aware of it and it couldn't be fixed and it's just how it has to be, like many things in metal detecting a compromise, at least it has Bluetooth so there are easy workarounds that are likely better than using the speaker anyway so for most it won't be an issue.

• Like 2

I hear what Jason says.  The speaker functionality on this 6000 is a big deal to me as I despise using headphones and use them under protest only. Hopefully this emi thing is worked out.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WesD said:

I hear what Jason says.  The speaker functionality on this 6000 is a big deal to me as I despise using headphones and use them under protest only. Hopefully this emi thing is worked out.

Ditto....  Wind came up today while using the sdc with it's lousy speaker so I had to park it (no headphones with me as I hate using them) and had to bust out my beloved Monster.....!!!!

I never intended to use the built-in speaker in the first place. Either BT headphones, or BT receiver and then booster to speaker. JP suggested a good combo for the latter. I think in all the time I own the SCD I never use the built in speaker once. But that's just me, everyone has different preferences.