Coiltek Nox 10x5 Coil - Lord Of The [junk] Rings

Thanks Chase, I have been hoping for a real use report with pictures. The trash to good target ratio looks really good.  Do you think depth is a little better or worse than 6 inch ?

• Like 2

Still a fun day! You made almost $4 👍

The freshness seals in Savannah were 1 to 5. Yours must be better quality. 😀 Can't wait to get notified my 10x5 is in.

• Like 1

a short 10 and a wide 5, iron bias f2 maxed out at 9. separation and recovery speed overall?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, village said:

a short 10 and a wide 5, iron bias f2 maxed out at 9. separation and recovery speed overall?

Yes, Coiltek is pushing it on the coil dimensions.  It appears to have the same footprint as the XP HF elliptical coil.

I may be misreading the true nature of your question, but I presume you are alluding to concerns regarding separation/masking with high iron bias settings.  I am not really worried about masking or separation at the beach in general but regardless of that, I think the the concerns I've seen expressed regarding iron bias and masking are overblown.  I am not afraid to use F2 iron bias for what it is, a great way to mitigate falsing and it does it well with minimal downside at the universal default of 6 and I have no qualms pushing it higher in low risk situations such as my beach run.  Bottlecaps are unmasked for what they are at IB F2 at 6 (with horseshoe on) and legitimately a non-issue at higher settings.  With IB F2 at 9, I was still able to zero in on keepers with coil wiggle if they happened to be near ferrous trash.  Varied recovery speed from 4 to 5 but did not see much difference either way.

As far as the coil is concerned great separation, great pinpointing.  Depth is decent for its size and to answer a previous question, yes, it appears to be deeper than the 6-inch round.

HTH

• Like 7

thank you Chase for the great info. i have been timid to use IB F2 but now i am eager to explore it more

• Like 1

Thanks Chase, for the depth comparison. I'm with you on IB, I can run near zero, take a lot of time and dig out deep square nails and not find much of anything, run IB up midway I cover more ground and find good targets. My own feeling is the adjustment may go to 0, but that is likely too low, for most all locations I hunt. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looking forward to getting one of these coils when the next batch hits the US. It looks like an excellent sized coil for small gold nugget prospecting in higher mineralization. My 6" Minelab coil does very well but the addition coverage and possible depth would really help. The only time I run F2=0 is when I am gold prospecting for very small gold nuggets in really bad dirt. Turning up the iron bias will result in tiny gold turning into tiny iron. Can't have that.

7 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The only time I run F2=0 is when I am gold prospecting for very small gold nuggets in really bad dirt. Turning up the iron bias will result in tiny gold turning into tiny iron. Can't have that.

Jeff, have I missed this point somewhere? I run F2=3 a lot (max on the 600), especially where there are a lot of bottle caps.

If I'm really gonna miss gold, I'd like to know. 🤔 I have found tiny silver...20210801_154619.thumb.jpg.f1710e9dafea2f6e446fe5364cf78be6.jpg

Just hoping I'm not opening a can. 😬

• Like 1