I'm camping in NC this week, a new campground that is on a remote island in the Currituck area. It's really an old campground that got a facelift from a big company. Did a ton of research (history, maps, aerials) before coming, they implied on the phone that metal detecting was ok here.

Talked to some folks after scouting the place, it's over 400 acres of woods, marsh and shoreline that really doesn't have a beach except for about 50 feet at the end of a bulkhead. Got permission to pretty much do what I want from the management, really nice people. They pointed me to where an old farmhouse once stood:20210526_104118.thumb.jpg.cf82b6525201516c6097a10a4f442f20.jpg

I brought my less intimidating shovel and promised to show them what I found. This place has been hunted by some YouTube personalities, I'm going to find their video if I can. The ground is similar to my landing back home and cuts like butter.

Got pretty much skunked at the farmhouse in the 2 hours I was there, had to put on 100% Deet to keep the deer flies, mosquitoes, black flies and midges off me. The not so smelly stuff wasn't working.

My trash was what I expected for the most part, can slaw, some brass, steel and other aluminum bits. Strange was the lack of much iron here. Everything was coming up in the 10-36 range! I was in all metal. Maybe I was just ignoring the iron.

Got an "O" from either a Ford or Oldsmobile.20210526_132527.thumb.jpg.0bc7439702e4e192d49f1ebb9128d8af.jpg

Managed to dig 3 Zincolns, all 70s from when they said the house was pulled down. Odd too that they were all ID'ing from 22-26!20210526_132518.thumb.jpg.caabf667ec94e60a3bed6dfc24c8fb0b.jpg

Going to hunt the "beach" and may go in the water along the bulkhead. I'll probably go back to the farmhouse area if it gets a bit cooler.

• Like 6

Looks like the area was landscaped. Was there a can line? Usually in areas that had been done over there is a trash line where squashed cans lay to rest, parks and fields here it is 6-12" markĀ  I don't count can slaw in that because that is topical and created when mowers pass over so that usually sinks to the 4" mark or so from worm activity.

The fact that there was no iron is not a good sign, thinking the old farm house was trucked away and new fill brought it, just my hunch. Still looked like a nice day out.

• Like 2

It's aĀ 

6 minutes ago, kac said:

Looks like the area was landscaped. Was there a can line? Usually in areas that had been done over there is a trash line where squashed cans lay to rest, parks and fields here it is 6-12" markĀ  I don't count can slaw in that because that is topical and created when mowers pass over so that usually sinks to the 4" mark or so from worm activity.

The fact that there was no iron is not a good sign, thinking the old farm house was trucked away and new fill brought it, just my hunch. Still looked like a nice day out.

It's a start for sure. It got up to 91 today, really humid here. Bug repellent didn't last long! If it wasn't for the heat it would have been ideal. It will be about 15 degrees cooler tomorrow.

I'm thinking I was just ignoring iron in favor of cherry picking, it was more of a time/bugs/heat thing. The squashed cans were 4-6" deep, slaw was right on top. In deference to the park I didn't often dig past the length of my shovel. I promised them they wouldn't see evidence I was there, kept that promise. It is super trashy for sure, bricks and such. The steel stuff gave great IDs. šŸ˜µ

They are maintaining the area as a "nature trail", there is a pond with geese and a canal near where the farmhouse was. I think the well was where I photographed the Nox.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Interested to see if more comes of the site, Bob.Ā  You know you are hooked when heat and bugs don't drive you away even after a keeper skunk.Ā  BTW - Zincolns did not exist before 1982.Ā  You have legit copper Memorials there.

Thanks! And thanks for the correction, I wondered why they weren't more rotten. They're in the keepers box. šŸ˜€

I'm determined to find something there, too many bricks and metal targets to think nothing is there. Still running Field 2 all metal, sensitivity an astounding 23. It's exactly like the landing at home, any suggestions?

I don't have iron bias cranked up - F2/0. Didn't find bottle caps. This place was probably a party place for a while, hence all the aluminum. It's in a remote corner.

Ā 

• Like 1

if i was there...once i was in the spot where i KNEW the old farmhouse was....i would turn the all metal off for a while, so i could just focus on the quality of the quieter/deep high tones.Ā  Forget the iron until you find your nice sweet quiet multiple direction tone.Ā  I am sure when you pinpoint, those large can slaws will be screaming at you, and can pass them up.

with equinox, i find that turning off the iron will let me go slower and focus on the individual high tones better.Ā  since you arent going to dig everything, might as well just try for the deepies.

• Thanks 1